Grilled Chicken Panini with Pesto Greek Yogurt Spread
This chicken panini is cooked on the grill (no need for a panini press!). And it’s full of delicious tomatoes, basil and mozzarella all tied together with a simple Greek yogurt pesto spread. I use yogurt in a lot of my cooking, which is why it makes sense that I’m a Stonyfield Brand Ambassador. This recipe is developed as part of my contract with Stonyfield. To see all my other delicious Stonyfield yogurt recipes, click here.
As I run through the marathon of my life, it’s protein that fuels me. My snacks and meals must contain protein for me to feel satisfied. If they don’t, I get hungry really really quickly.
That is why I’m so in love with Stonyfield Organic Greek Yogurt. This yogurt is packed with protein, 23 grams in 1 cup (and zero fat in that 1 cup too). It really keeps me going. I eat it as a snack, I dollop it on oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, I use it instead of sour cream for all Mexican food, and even on my favorite perogies (I wonder what my Baba would think of that!). And lately I’ve started using it instead of mayonnaise on all kinds of sandwiches and wraps.
Greek yogurt really is so much healthier than mayonnaise. Way less fat. And it has that protein boost that I’ve come to rely on so much. For this recipe I’ve mixed Greek yogurt with pesto to make a spread that I put onto two naan breads (or you can use pita). Grilled chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil get sandwiched between the two flatbreads and then the sandwich is grilled. On the grill, yes! No need for a fancy sandwich maker or panini press here.
This chicken panini makes an amazing lunch or dinner and it has all the protein I need from the chicken, and an extra bit from the yogurt without the fat that mayonnaise would normally bring. Oh, and the best part about skipping the mayonnaise is it makes me feel less guilty about all that mozzarella cheese. Let me tell you, this sandwich is a protein-loving girl’s dream!
Here’s my Grilled Chicken Panini recipe:
- ¼ cup Stonyfield Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 whole wheat naan breads (or large pitas)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella ball, cut in half and each half sliced into 12
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt, pesto and a pinch of salt and of pepper.
- Lay the naan breads out in a single layer. Brush the tops with the olive oil. Flip them over and spread tops with the yogurt mixture.
- Place 6 pieces of the mozzarella on 1 naan. Top with half of the chicken, half of the tomatoes and half of the basil. Add another 6 pieces of the mozzrella. Top with another naan, spread-side-down. Repeat this step with the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer sandwiches to the grill. Press down slightly as they cook, just until grill marks appear and sandwich fillings are beginning to warm, 3-5 minutes. Use a spatula (the kind you'd use to flip pancakes) to slide a sandwich onto a plate. Then carefully flip it over back onto the grill. Repeat with second sandwich. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom, another 3-5 minutes. Use the spatula to slide the sandwiches off the grill. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.