Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe
What’s better than stuffed peppers? Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers! An easy and ridiculously delicious meal or side dish any night.
One of my favorite things to do with leftovers is to stuff them into bell peppers and then bake them. Just about anything will work, from spaghetti to pulled pork, even leftover stir fried veggies especially if you have a bit of leftover fried rice to add with them.
One day last month I filled my peppers with the ultimate leftovers to create Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers.
These were so good that I wanted to be able to make them on purpose, not only when I have leftover macaroni and cheese on hand.
I therefore came up with a quick and easy macaroni and cheese recipe that’s perfect for stuffing into peppers. What makes it especially perfect is that this mac ‘n’ cheese is really really moist. That’s a requirement for stuffing it into peppers because the macaroni can dry out a bit during the baking. The extra moisture in this macaroni and cheese results in creamy filling every time.
Do you love stuffed peppers?
And here’s my recipe for the Quick and Easy Cheddar and Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
And this one, oh my gosh you’ve got to try this, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
And now, here’s my Easy Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe:
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles
- 6 bell peppers
- 8 oz. cream cheese (1/3 fat cream cheese works fine in here)
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 tsp. panko bread crumbs
- baking spray
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. While it cooks, prep the peppers either by cutting them in half front stem through to bottom and then deseeding or by cutting off the stem end of the pepper and deseeding (see explanations for both of these methods plus more stuffed pepper info like how to deal with unsteady tipping peppers over here). Arrange peppers cut-side-up on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Make the macaroni and cheese sauce by measuring the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and milk into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave 1 minute at at time for 3-5 minutes, stirring after each interval until sauce is fairly smooth with no big cream cheese chunks. Whisk in the mustard, salt and cayenne.
- Drain the macaroni noodles well and then combine them with the sauce. Let sauce sit on noodles for 5-10 minutes. Stir well and then fill peppers with macaroni and cheese.
- Top each pepper with some of the panko crumbs and then spray tops lightly with baking spray. Bake until breadcrumbs are browned and peppers are desired tenderness, 20-25 minutes.*
46 Responses to “Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe”
- 14 Scrumptious Stuffed Vegetable Recipes | Denver
- Whole Foods Visit, Hard Boiled Eggs Failure | Grimm Reality
- Creamy Greek yogurt macaroni and cheese - Running to the Kitchen
- Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese Soup in 15
- Creative Ways to Stuff Bell Peppers
- Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers | Culinary Recipes
- How To Make Stuffed Peppers: Methods and Recipes
- Easy Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers!
- Fried Mac & Cheese Bites | the little kitchen
- TodaysMama.com - 15 Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
- Homestyle Baked Macaroni & Cheese Recipe | Pocket Change Gourmet
- Homemade and so tasty! | Go Gingham Stylishly Frugal Living
- Creamy Pancetta, Leek + Pea Macaroni and Cheese
- Elegant Cakes – Healthier Macaroni and Cheese
- Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Mac | Daisy At Home
- Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese | Crunchy Creamy SweetCrunchy Creamy Sweet
- French Onion Mac N' Cheese | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts - Part 1
- Panko Crusted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe - The Lemon Bowl
- Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese - The Law Student's Wife |
- Mac and Cheese Mania | Nutmeg Nanny
- Potato Skin Mac and Cheese | Eat Your Heart Out
- Smoked Bacon Macaroni and Cheese | Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mac and Cheese Mania! - Rachel Cooks