Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe

What’s better than stuffed peppers? Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers! An easy and ridiculously delicious meal or side dish any night.

One of my favorite things to do with leftovers is to stuff them into bell peppers and then bake them. Just about anything will work, from spaghetti to pulled pork, even leftover stir fried veggies especially if you have a bit of leftover fried rice to add with them.

One day last month I filled my peppers with the ultimate leftovers to create Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers.

These were so good that I wanted to be able to make them on purpose, not only when I have leftover macaroni and cheese on hand.

Easy Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe

I therefore came up with a quick and easy macaroni and cheese recipe that’s perfect for stuffing into peppers. What makes it especially perfect is that this mac ‘n’ cheese is really really moist. That’s a requirement for stuffing it into peppers because the macaroni can dry out a bit during the baking. The extra moisture in this macaroni and cheese results in creamy filling every time.

Do you love stuffed peppers?

Click here to find out how to make stuffed peppers using different methods and get a bunch of stuffed pepper recipes.

And here’s my recipe for the Quick and Easy Cheddar and Chicken Stuffed Peppers:

Quick and Easy Cheddar and Chicken Stuffed Peppers

And this one, oh my gosh you’ve got to try this, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers:

Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers

And now, here’s my Easy Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe:

Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers

• 1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles
  • 6 bell peppers
  • 8 oz. cream cheese (1/3 fat cream cheese works fine in here)
  • 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 tsp. dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 6 tsp. panko bread crumbs
  • baking spray

1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
  2. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. While it cooks, prep the peppers either by cutting them in half front stem through to bottom and then deseeding or by cutting off the stem end of the pepper and de-seeding (see explanations for both of these methods plus more stuffed pepper info like how to deal with unsteady tipping peppers over here). Arrange peppers cut-side-up on a large rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Make the macaroni and cheese sauce by measuring the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and milk into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave 1 minute at at time for 3-5 minutes, stirring after each interval until sauce is fairly smooth with no big cream cheese chunks. Whisk in the mustard, salt and cayenne.
  4. Drain the macaroni noodles well and then combine them with the sauce. Let sauce sit on noodles for 5-10 minutes. Stir well and then fill peppers with macaroni and cheese.
  5. Top each pepper with some of the panko crumbs and then spray tops lightly with baking spray. Bake until breadcrumbs are browned and peppers are desired tenderness, 20-25 minutes.*

You can use leftover macaroni and cheese to stuff peppers. Just make sure it's a really creamy recipe. If it's a bit dry, add dribbles of warm milk to the pasta and stir before stuffing the peppers.

*If you like your peppers very soft, bake them for 40 minutes at 350ºF instead of 20-25 minutes at 450ºF

47 Responses to “Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers Recipe”

1. Anne — June 15, 2014 @ 2:22 pm (#)

I love this idea! I’ve put peppers into my mac & cheese, but I’ve never put mac & cheese into my peppers. What a great twist on stuffed peppers! Thanks.

2. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — April 8, 2014 @ 1:40 pm (#)

Oh my goodness I must have these!

3. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — February 27, 2014 @ 9:03 pm (#)

What a great idea to put them in peppers, must add great flavor!

4. Kim Beaulieu — February 27, 2014 @ 1:01 am (#)

Stuffed peppers=good,
    Mac n cheese=good,
    Mac n cheese stuffed peppers= marry me and let’s run away together. Bring this.

5. Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet — February 26, 2014 @ 12:23 pm (#)

What a great idea for the stuffed peppers!

6. Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen — February 26, 2014 @ 9:09 am (#)

Oh my heavens! This looks phenomenal! I haven’t had the best of luck with “traditional” stuffed peppers in the past, but THIS one looks like it’s right up my alley. Brilliant idea!

7. Lori @ RecipeGirl — February 25, 2014 @ 10:09 am (#)

Terrific recipe! I once did a Mac and Cheese Stuffed Zucchini and Tomatoes. It’s a great idea to incorporate veggies, isn’t it?

8. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche — February 25, 2014 @ 8:04 am (#)

What a cool idea! Bet the juicy peppers keep it all nice and moist. Yum!

9. JulieD — February 24, 2014 @ 7:43 pm (#)

Gosh, this looks amazing and is pretty much genius, Christine!

10. Sarah - Daisy at Home — February 24, 2014 @ 1:54 pm (#)

Oh yum! Love the addition of cream cheese to make it extra creamy!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:10 pm (#)

Thanks Sarah! It is super-creamy. And the cream cheese means that you don’t have to make a roux sauce so it’s super-simple too.

11. Katie — February 24, 2014 @ 11:46 am (#)

Ummm stop the presses. My two favorite things in one. And I love the idea of mixing cream cheese with cheddar cheese and milk. Ultra creamy!!!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:11 pm (#)

Thanks Katie! It is really creamy. And the cream cheese/microwave deal means that you don’t have to make a roux sauce, always my least favorite part of making mac.

12. cheri — February 24, 2014 @ 10:04 am (#)

great idea, very clever. will be making soon. thanks!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:11 pm (#)

Thanks Cheri! If you make them, do let me know what you think.

13. Ali | Gimme Some Oven — February 24, 2014 @ 8:43 am (#)

I love stuffed peppers! Such a great idea, and beautiful presentation!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:12 pm (#)

Thanks Ali! I’m loving all the mac n cheese love out there today. Your recipe is gorgeous, as always!

14. Becca from It's Yummi! — February 24, 2014 @ 8:12 am (#)

You knocked it out of the ballpark, Chris! This recipe may very well become my Kryptonite! YUM!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:12 pm (#)

Aw, thanks Bec. I’m pretty proud of it. Getting the mac n cheese really creamy was the key. My first tries were a bit dry from the cooking time.

15. Nutmeg Nanny — February 24, 2014 @ 7:02 am (#)

Oh my goodness! I cannot believe you stuffed a pepper with mac and cheese! That is crazy genius! Thank you so much for joining in on the fun, you’re the best!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:14 pm (#)

Brandy, Thanks for including me in #maccheesemania. It’s been wonderful seeing everyone’s recipes and all gooey cheesy excitement. And your pulled pork mac is incredible-looking. Can’t wait to try it out!

16. Rachel Cooks — February 24, 2014 @ 6:11 am (#)

This is SO genius! We love stuffed peppers! Can’t wait to try these. Thanks for participating in mac and cheese mania!

• Christine Pittman — February 24, 2014 @ 2:15 pm (#)

Thanks for including me, Rachel. I love mac ‘n’ cheese so today has been awesome. Your Panera recipe made me drool. It looks soooo creamy!

1. Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese — October 10, 2015
  2. 14 Scrumptious Stuffed Vegetable Recipes | Denver — October 31, 2014
  3. Whole Foods Visit, Hard Boiled Eggs Failure | Grimm Reality — October 10, 2014
  4. Creamy Greek yogurt macaroni and cheese - Running to the Kitchen — October 6, 2014
  5. Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese Soup in 15 — October 4, 2014
  6. Creative Ways to Stuff Bell Peppers — July 12, 2014
  7. Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers | Culinary Recipes — May 18, 2014
  8. How To Make Stuffed Peppers: Methods and Recipes — May 12, 2014
  9. Easy Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Peppers! — April 28, 2014
  10. Fried Mac & Cheese Bites | the little kitchen — March 16, 2014
  11. - 15 Macaroni and Cheese Recipes — March 4, 2014
  12. Homestyle Baked Macaroni & Cheese Recipe | Pocket Change Gourmet — February 25, 2014
  13. Homemade and so tasty! | Go Gingham Stylishly Frugal Living — February 25, 2014
  14. Creamy Pancetta, Leek + Pea Macaroni and Cheese — February 24, 2014
  15. Elegant Cakes – Healthier Macaroni and Cheese — February 24, 2014
  16. Roasted Poblano and Goat Cheese Mac | Daisy At Home — February 24, 2014
  17. Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese | Crunchy Creamy SweetCrunchy Creamy Sweet — February 24, 2014
  18. French Onion Mac N' Cheese | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts - Part 1 — February 24, 2014
  19. Panko Crusted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe - The Lemon Bowl — February 24, 2014
  20. Skinny Greek Mac and Cheese - The Law Student's Wife | — February 24, 2014
  21. Mac and Cheese Mania | Nutmeg Nanny — February 24, 2014
  22. Potato Skin Mac and Cheese | Eat Your Heart Out — February 24, 2014
  23. Smoked Bacon Macaroni and Cheese | Cravings of a Lunatic — February 24, 2014
  24. Mac and Cheese Mania! - Rachel Cooks — February 24, 2014