Chocolate Lava Cake with Blackberry Wine Sauce
Chocolate Lava Cakes are a restaurant favorite. But they’re super-easy to make at home. Read on for my easy Molten Chocolate Lava Cake with Blackberry Wine Sauce Recipe to see just how easy it is.
Today I’ve got the perfect Valentine’s Day recipe for you. It’s for Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes with Blackberry Wine Sauce. And it makes exactly enough for two. That’s one for you and one for the person you love. And there are instructions in the recipe for baking it as two individual portions or as one larger dessert that two people can share.
These chocolate lava cakes are perfect for anytime you want to celebrate or indulge together.
The chocolate cakes are really quick and easy to make. It takes less than 10 minutes to mix the ingredients together and then they bake for about 15 minutes. You’ll be eating 1 minute later.
The blackberry wine sauce is super-simple as well and you can make it while the cakes bake.
I developed this recipe in collaboration with Columbia Crest to pair with their very delicious 2009 Grand Estates Amitage Red Blend wine. And they do go together so so very well. You have GOT TO try this.
The wine has notes of blackberry so it goes perfectly with the blackberry sauce. Add a good glug of wine to that sauce and they become best friends.
I snuck a touch of cinnamon and clove into the cake batter to bring out the warm spice flavors in the wine. And of course a drop of wine went into that batter as well, making this dessert and Columbia Crest 2009 Grand Estates Amitage Red Blend true soul mates.
Every month for the upcoming year I’ll be sharing a recipe that pairs with a Columbia Crest Grand Estates wine. Click here to see the recipes as they appear.
And now, here’s my Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes with Blackberry Wine Sauce recipe.
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into 5-6 pieces
- 1 and ½ tsp. Columbia Crest Grand Estates Amitage Red Blend
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- a good pinch of cloves
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp. vegetable oil
- Blackberry Red Wine Sauce (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Put chocolate chips and butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave until butter is melted, about 1 minute. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Mix in the Columbia Crest Grand Estates Amitage Red Blend wine and confectioners’ sugar. Add the egg and mayonnaise. Stir until well-combined. Stir in the cinnamon, cloves and flour.
- Use the oil to grease the insides (especially the bottoms) of two 6-7 ounce ramekins. Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and divide batter among them. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake until cake edges are firmly set and the middles are set but still soft, 14-16 minutes. (The cake batter can instead be baked as a single cake to be shared by two people: Use an oven-safe soup bowl that has no inward-slopping sides or rims so that the cake will not be blocked from sliding out. Grease with the oil, fill with all the batter and bake until edges are firmly set and middle is set but still soft, 15-17 minutes. Proceed as below).
- Remove cake from oven and let sit 1 minute. Run a small knife around the edges. Place an inverted plate on top of the ramekin. Invert ramekin and plate together so that ramekin is on top of plate. Tap or gently shake ramekin. Lift it slowly allowing cake to slip out onto the plate. Top with the Blackberry Red Wine Sauce and serve immediately.
- 6 oz. fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup Columbia Crest Grand Estates Amitage Red Blend
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp. cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. lemon juice
- Combine blackberries, Columbia Crest Grand Estates Amitage Red Blend wine, confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until liquid is thickened and bubbling and the berries are the color of red wine, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Serve warm.