Caprese Salad with Mozzarella Crisps for Aggie

Surprise Aggie! Today is the virtual surprise baby shower for Aggie of Aggie’s Kitchen. We’re sharing Italian recipes in honor of Aggie and her growing family (and her growing belly!). My recipe is for a Caprese Salad made with Mozzarella Crisps (mozzarella cheese rounds that have been baked until browned and as crispy as the cheese at the edges of a lasagna pan). Click here to jump on down to this caprese salad recipe and click here to see what all the other bloggers have brought to Aggie’s Virtual Baby Shower.

Caprese Salad with Crispy Mozzarella Rounds by www.cookthestory.com

I’m so excited about this shower for Aggie of Aggie’s Kitchen. I’ve met Aggie a couple of times now and she is really such a sweet and kind gal. We live fairly close to each other and I hope that as our families grow we get to spend more time together. Her blog is full of fresh, healthy but hearty foods that I always love to drool over. Check out her Andouille Sausage, Mushroom and Sun-Dried Tomoato Naan Pizza and her Grilled Barbecue Bison Burger for two tasty meals.

When I was a little girl, nothing excited me as much as going to a shower. Bridal shower or baby shower, it didn’t matter so long as I was in a pretty dress, my mom had made my hair go all wavy, my cousins were there and, of course, that there were all those little bits of food to eat.

I loved the layered sandwiches rich with mayonnaise and the spiraled ones with a cherry in the middle.

And the desserts! Oh boy!

I’m not sure that the food at showers was better than the food at other events. I think I just liked how small everything was.

You could fit so many of those different bites on your plate!

And I loved the whole idea of grazing at a shower. I’d run up to the food table, fill my little paper plate, sit, eat, giggle and then go back for another round.

Now as a grown up, I know that a shower is about celebrating a journey that a friend or loved one is about to embark on. Before the party I think about the person and what they might need for this life-changing event. And at the party, I look forward to giving them a big hug and maybe having a short moment to ask how they’re feeling and to offer a small bit of wisdom.

Oh heck, who am I kidding? It’s still all about the food!

And so, what better way to have a shower than to make food the star? As a little surprise, a bunch of us bloggers have gotten together to throw a surprise baby shower for our friend Aggie of Aggie’s Kitchen.

We’ve each come up with an Italian-themed recipe in Aggie’s honor. These aren’t strictly shower recipes but let me tell you, all of them have made my food-loving self very happy.

A surprise virtual shower for aggieskitchen.com

Congratulations Aggie, to you and your family. I can’t wait to read all about your new little arrival.

Here are the Italian recipes from all of the bloggers today. Below this list you’ll find the recipe for my contribution: Caprese Salad with Mozzarella Crisps.

Appetizers

Non Alcoholic Berry Spritzer from Lisa of Jersey Girl Cooks

Virgin Peach & Raspberry Bellinis from Milisa of Miss in the Kitchen

Italian Basil Sparkling Lemonade from Marly of Namely Marly

Italian Sodas from Laura of Real Mom Kitchen

Cafe Mocha Punch / or Iced Cafe Mocha from Amy of She Wears Many Hats

Salads

Italian Chopped Salad in a Jar {with Creamy Caesar Dressing} from Brenda of a farmgirl’s dabbles

Pesto Pasta Stuffed Tomatoes from Suzanne of Kokocooks

Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad from Liz of The Lemon Bowl

Herbed Israeli Couscous Salad with Tomato and Mozzarella from Rachel of Rachel Cooks

Chickpea, Avocado, & Feta Salad from Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod

Lentil and Chickpea Layered Salad from Lisa of With Style & Grace

Entrees

Chicken Cacciatore from Meagan of A Zesty Bite

Zucchini, Bell Pepper & Edamame Stir-Fry from Cassie of Bake Your Day

Potato-Crusted Vegetarian Quiche with Zucchini, Tomatoes & Feta from Dara of Cookin’ Canuck

“Straw & Hay” Tagliatelle in Cream Sauce from Flavia of Flavia’s Flavors

Grilled Italian Chicken with Veggie & Bow Tie Pasta from Katie of Katie’s Cucina

Grilled Naan Pizza with Summer Veggies & Turkey Sausage from Kelley of Mountain Mama Cooks

Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Panini from Kathy of Panini Happy

Desserts

Fresh Blueberry Shortbread with Lemon Cream Frosting from Sommer of A Spicy Perspective

Crostata di Mango from Lora of Cake Duchess

Italian Ice from Kristen of Dine & Dish

Roasted Banana and Nutella S’mores Bruschetta from Jenny of Picky Palate

Italian Cream Cake from Deborah of Taste and Tell

Panna cotta from Leslie of The hungry housewife

Fortune Cookies from Shari of Tickled Red

Baby Vanilla Bean Scones a la Starbucks from Tara of Unsophisticook

And now, here is my recipe for Caprese Salad with Mozzarella Crisps

Caprese Salad with Crispy Mozzarella Rounds by www.cookthestory.com

5.0 from 2 reviews
Caprese Salad with Mozzarella Crisps

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This version of Caprese Salad uses rounds of mozzarella that have been baked until they're brown and crispy, like the cheese at the edges of a pan of lasagna. I've also used a parsley & garlic oil (chopped parsley and garlic in olive oil with salt, see recipe here) instead of basil. But you could absolutely go with pesto or some fresh basil leaves instead. This recipe serves two as an appetizer but you can double or triple it for more. Just always make sure that the shredded mozzarella is spaced out enough on the baking sheets.
Author:
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 2 medium tomatoes, sliced thickly
  • 2 tsp. Parsley & Garlic Oil (or pesto thinned with a bit of olive oil)
  • coarse salt
  • coarse black pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the mozzrella in 12 little piles, as spaced out as possible on the baking sheet.
  3. Bake the mozzrella in the preheated oven until thin, crisp and very brown around the edges, 5-10 minutes watching carefully after 5 minutes to make sure that they don't start to burn. Remove the pan from the oven and let the crisps cool before using a metal spatula to carefully remove them from the parchment paper. The crisps can be stored uncovered on a plate for 2 hours. After that, place in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day (they won't be as crisp but are still good).
  4. Lay the tomato slices and mozzarella crisps on a plate, overlapping them in alternating layers. Drizzle with the Parsley and Garlic Oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt and a pinch of black pepper.

Now, scroll on down to the comments and tell me, what was your favorite thing about going to showers as a kid? Was it the food? Playing with the other kids? Getting all dressed up? Something else?

The last time I was in the kitchen I made Caesar Salad Spring Rolls
I’d be so happy if you’d try them. I bet they’ll make you happy too.

43 Responses to “Caprese Salad with Mozzarella Crisps for Aggie”

1. need article writer — October 5, 2014 @ 4:45 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your
    efforts and I will be waiting for your further post
    thanks once again.

2. Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — September 9, 2013 @ 11:53 am (#)

Love this added crunch to one of my favorite flavor combos!

3. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — August 30, 2013 @ 9:24 pm (#)

I thought baby showers were so much fun when I was a girl, but didn’t get to attend too many. The food was always my favorite part too and still is! I’ve never had mozzarella crisps, so smart! I must try this asap!

4. leslie — August 30, 2013 @ 9:26 am (#)

Easy simple and healthy….what a perfect entertaining food!!!

5. cassie — August 27, 2013 @ 8:50 am (#)

These are stunning, Christine. I especially love the mozzarella crisps!

6. Sandy@ReluctantEntertainer — August 26, 2013 @ 10:46 pm (#)

I love this, Christine! Looks so good. It would be even more perfect if we could all be together with Aggie :)

• Christine Pittman — August 27, 2013 @ 9:53 am (#)

Sandy, I know! It would be so nice to all get together and celebrate a friend. Thanks again for organizing this. It was wonderful to be a part of it.

7. Jersey Girl Cooks — August 26, 2013 @ 10:39 pm (#)

Love this recipe. Not sure why but I didn’t go to showers as a kid. I am sure I would have loved all the food if I did. Cheers to Aggie! Great reading all the posts today.

8. Aggie — August 26, 2013 @ 10:39 pm (#)

Oh wow, this looks amazing!! I’m loving the crisps paired up with the tomatoes, delicious!

I loved reading your post, I’m hoping once this kiddo is born we can finally get together (with all of our kiddos!), we live too close not to! Thank you so much for the surprise!!

9. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — August 26, 2013 @ 10:05 pm (#)

I have always loved going to showers, too. The food! And punch! :) This has been so much fun celebrating with Aggie. Love those mozzarella crisps on your caprese!

10. Cookin Canuck — August 26, 2013 @ 7:57 pm (#)

I love baby and bridal showers for the same reason you do…lots of bite-sized little tastes. And there is nothing better than crispy, brown cheese. These look fantastic!

11. Lora @cakeduchess — August 26, 2013 @ 4:43 pm (#)

I love the idea of mozzarella crisps…so much fun! One of my favorite things to have in the summer is an insalata Caprese. Mozzarella any thing is fine with me. Such a wonderful group of bloggers and recipes for Aggie. :)

12. Suzanne — August 26, 2013 @ 4:30 pm (#)

Yeah, it’s all about the food for me too. Love the crispy mozzarella!

13. Angie — August 26, 2013 @ 2:05 pm (#)

What a great idea! I love these!

14. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — August 26, 2013 @ 11:53 am (#)

Happy Baby Aggie and I’ll take a dozen of these please!

15. JulieD — August 26, 2013 @ 11:52 am (#)

These are so clever, I love them, Christine! Thanks so much for joining in! :)

16. Paula — August 26, 2013 @ 11:14 am (#)

Congratulations to Aggie! These crisps are a fabulous appetizer.

17. Marly — August 26, 2013 @ 10:46 am (#)

Caprese Salad – yum! It’s so fun to be a part of this event with you!

18. Ali | Gimme Some Oven — August 26, 2013 @ 10:31 am (#)

YUM! I love the crispy mozzarella twist! :)

19. Katie — August 26, 2013 @ 10:25 am (#)

Christine I could not agree more with you–as a kid I LOVED any sort of adult event whether it be a shower or a wedding and as I’ve grown older, I too have realized the real importance behind the event. I love the idea that you made mozzarella crisps to pair with your tomatoes! I must give this a try soon.

20. Rachel Cooks — August 26, 2013 @ 8:42 am (#)

LOVING this take on caprese!

21. Sheila — August 26, 2013 @ 7:50 am (#)

This is ingenious!! making my mouth water!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 15 Tempting Tomato Recipes — January 27, 2014
  2. Don't worry, be happy, say cheese! | Recipes Home — September 5, 2013
  3. Russian Salad… | Keli Paan — August 27, 2013
  4. I’m Surprised!! A Virtual Baby Shower… For My Baby Boy and Me! | Aggie's Kitchen — August 26, 2013
  5. Chickpea, Avocado, & Feta Salad | Chickpea Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod — August 26, 2013
  6. Prosciutto Wrapped Melon Balls | bell' alimento — August 26, 2013
  7. Watermelon Feta Bites with Basil Olive Oil for Aggie's Baby | reluctantentertainer.com Reluctant Entertainer I Sandy Coughlin - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening — August 26, 2013
  8. Roasted Banana and Nutella S'mores Bruschetta - Picky Palate — August 26, 2013
  9. Crostata di Mango - Cake Duchess — Cake Duchess — August 26, 2013
  10. Italian Sodas and a Virtual Baby Shower | Real Mom KitchenReal Mom Kitchen — August 26, 2013
  11. Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Crostini | TidyMom — August 26, 2013
  12. Baby Boy Joy & Fortune Cookies — Tickled Red — August 26, 2013
  13. Non Alcoholic Berry Spritzers For Aggie — August 26, 2013
  14. 3 Ingredient Refreshing Pineapple Italian Ice Recipe — August 26, 2013
  15. Zucchini, Bell Pepper & Edamame Stir-Fry | Bake Your Day — August 26, 2013
  16. Italian Chopped Salad in a Jar {with Creamy Caesar Dressing} — August 26, 2013
  17. Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Panini | Panini Happy® — August 26, 2013
  18. Eclectic Recipes » Lemon Cream Soda — August 26, 2013
  19. Herbed Israeli Couscous Salad with Tomato and Mozzarella - Rachel Cooks — August 26, 2013
  20. Vanilla Bean Scones — August 26, 2013