One Skillet Vegetarian Quinoa Fajitas
Hi there friendly friend! Today I’m bringing you a healthy dinner recipe for Vegetarian Quinoa Fajitas. This recipe is super easy to make yet delicious and healthy. It’s perfect for Meatless Mondays or any day of the week. Click here to jump down to the recipe.
Back to school is a bit like New Years for me. It’s a time for renewal, for thinking about how I want my life, and my family’s life, to be for the next year. The resolutions I make are a bit different though. Mostly I’m thinking about being more organized and finding ways to make our mornings run more smoothly.
But one Back to School resolution is quite similar to the New Year’s resolutions I usually make: For us all to eat healthier.
Towards that goal, I am planning to put more focus on vegetables and alternate protein sources. Having a vegetarian dinner at least once a week (a meatless Monday kind of routine) is one way that I can do that.
This vegetarian dinner is one of my favorites and I plan to add it to our meal rotation more often. That won’t be a hard thing to do since it’s a delicious meal that my whole family enjoys:
Vegetarian Quinoa Fajitas
Vegetarian Quinoa Fajitas is a healthy meal, and, as I said, my whole family loves it. Even better, it’s quick to make and uses only one skillet. That means dinner prep is fast and dinner clean-up is even faster.
The best thing is if we have leftovers in the skillet. Then I just put the lid back on and pop it into the fridge. Dishes done.
Wait, no. That’s not the best thing. There’s something better. The leftover skillet full of hearty healthy cheesy quinoa is an easy side dish the next day. Or it turns into a fantastic soup for lunches. I add broth until it’s a thickness that I like, heat and package into thermoses.
I may not succeed in getting everyone ready on time in the mornings, but with dinners like this up my sleeve I might manage to keep one of my Back to School resolutions.
Now, here is my recipe for Vegetarian Quinoa Fajitas:
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½ of a medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 and ½ cups water or low-sodium broth
- ½ cup shredded finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Warm the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and the bell pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add the chili powder, salt and smoked paprika. Stir. Add the quinoa, beans, tomatoes and water or broth. Stir. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer until all liquid is absorbed and hte quinoa is soft, about 13-16 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and uncover. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Return cover and allow the heat from the quinoa to melt the cheese.
- Serve the quinoa mixture in flour tortillas with the salsa and sour cream.