Spiced Turkey Burger Recipe

This week the #SundaySupper gang is talking about spices and ways to really flavor up food. I’m joining in by bringing you my Cumin, Coriander and Fennel Spiced Turkey Burger recipe. These are simple turkey burger patties that sing with earthy warm spices.

Cumin, Coriander and Fennel Spiced Turkey Burger Recipe by www.cookthestory.com

When I found out that the #SundaySupper group was focusing on spices this week, I knew that I’d toast whole spices, grind them in my mortar and pestle and then add them to something. But add them to what? That was a hard question to answer.

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ve probably noticed that I’ve been on a big burger kick. First I brought you a beef burger patty with chorizo mixed right in with the beef. Then I brought you one with bacon mixed right in.

It seems I’m in the mood to add things to burger patties.

So I decided to add my fragrant spice mixture to this turkey burger recipe.

I’m not always a “toast your own spices” evangelist. I often find that I can’t tell the difference, especially in a lot of the basic stews and soups that I make. Even when I’m veering into Indian food, I have to be in the right mood to get out my mortar and pestle.

Freshly toasted ground cumin, coriander and fennel seed, destined to be added to a turkey burger recipe.

But for this turkey burger recipe it really does make a difference. The ground turkey has such a mild flavor and the accompaniments I usually serve with the patties (pita bread, bell peppers, tomatoes, red onion and Greek yogurt) are mild as well. The smokey more nuanced flavors in the spices flutter over the everything else making this into a recipe that your friends and family will ask you for again and again. (No need to write it down for them though. Just send them here. They can print the recipe below).

Cumin, Coriander and Fennel SPiced Turkey Burger Patties in Pita by www.cookthestory.com

For another great dish to make with ground turkey, be sure to also check out my recipe for turkey lasagna soup.

Lasagna Soup Recipe

And now for my spiced turkey burger recipe:

Spiced Turkey Burger

• 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp. whole fennel seeds
  • 1 and 1/3 lb. ground turkey breast
  • 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil

1. Measure the cumin, coriander nad fennel into a small dry frying pan. Set it over low heat and cook for 5-7 minutes or until very fragrant, stirring occasionally. Transfer the spices to a mortar. Grind them with a pestle until the pieces have the size and texture of coarsely ground black pepper.
  2. In a large bowl combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and egg. Do not over mix. Divide mixture into 4 patties of equal size.
  3. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the turkey burger patties and cook until the underside is very brown, about 4 minutes. Flip them over and cook until the second side for 4 minutes. Flip them back and cook for another 2 minutes. Cut into one patty. If it is still pink in the center, flip and cook for 2 more minutes. If not, transfer to a plate and serve.

Looking for more recipes that celebrate spices? Check out what other members of the Sunday Supper group are cooking today:

Snappy Starters & Snacks

Hatch Chile, Grape & Grilled Onion Salsa from Shockingly Delicious
Spicy Tempeh Chips from The Urban Mrs
Sriracha Popcorn from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Cheese, Smoked Paprika and Fennel Crackers from What Smells So Good?
Baked Banana Pepper Poppers from Daily Dish Recipes
Spicy Black Bean and Corn Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
Caldo de Camaron y Pescado (Shrimp & Fish Soup) from girlichef
Bajia with Tomato and Chili Chutney from My cute bride
Shredded Buffalo Chicken Salad from Casa de Crews
Sriracha and Parmesan Fries from Mess Makes Food
Smoky Salmon Chowder from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Hummus with Spicy Turkish Ezme Salad from Neighborfood
Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppedew Peppers from Healthy. Delicious.
Tofu Hariyali Kebabs-(Tofu Kebabs in Cilantro Sauce) from Soni’s Food

Whole grain Mustard recipe – Moutarde à l’ancienne from Masala Herb
Homemade Sriracha Sauce from kimchi MOM

Zesty Sweets & Sips

Cinnamon Streusel Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Fiery Pomelo from My Other City By The Bay
Cinnamon Monkey Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Cinnamon Peanut Butter Skillet Blondies with Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes
Goldilocks and the 3 Asian-Fusion Bars from NinjaBaking.com

39 Responses to “Spiced Turkey Burger Recipe”

1. Everyday Mom — December 20, 2013 @ 7:09 pm (#)

This is the first time a fresh turkey burger/patty has actually turned out for me. And not just turned out, but turned out delicious. Wow!!! The toasted spices added into the meat really make it tasty. Tasted awesome with the Greek yogurt, onions, and tomatoes. This was also fairly simple to make for me. A really nice diversion from the usual (frozen) turkey burger/patty meal with ketchup. Even my picky husband loved it. It was even good as a leftover!!! Loved it. Will definately make again.

2. Anne @ Webicurean — August 17, 2013 @ 12:38 pm (#)

I make something very similar minus the bread crumbs–and they are SO good! I never thought of serving them in pita, so now I know what I’m doing next time!

3. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — August 14, 2013 @ 5:01 pm (#)

These look crazy yummy-keep those burgers coming C:

4. Renee — August 13, 2013 @ 8:18 pm (#)

Great spice combination. I have to admit I don’t toast spices often enough. I see a good reason to do so with this recipe. I eat turkey throughout the year and always looking for new way to cook it. Patties in a pita with those toppings is a winner!

5. Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite — August 13, 2013 @ 8:00 am (#)

Trying to eat healthier doesn’t mean losing out on flavour and you prove that with with these turkey patties. Yum.

6. Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — August 12, 2013 @ 7:51 pm (#)

A zesty way to spice up a turkey burger! Love it! I need to drag out my mortar and pestle more often!

7. Sarah Reid, CNP (@jo_jo_ba) — August 11, 2013 @ 4:56 pm (#)

Oooh, that’s a new spice combo for me in the realm of turkey burgers! Bet it’s delicious

8. Stacy — August 11, 2013 @ 4:45 pm (#)

I love a spicy patties, Christine, especially if you are going to stuff them in a pita, rather than sticking them between too big, bready buns. Let the meat shine through, I say! Here, with the help of your freshly roasted, freshly ground spices, it really does. Beautiful!

9. The Ninja Baker — August 11, 2013 @ 4:09 pm (#)

Oh, my, Christine, your turkey burgers are beyond! Love the touch of Greek yogurt as a garnish, too…And very much admire your diligence in grinding the spices with your mortar and pestle.

10. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — August 11, 2013 @ 3:32 pm (#)

I´m defrosting chorizo and ground meat to make burgers this week. This idea of seasoned turkey sounds much healthier! I really should make it soon.

11. Liz — August 11, 2013 @ 1:45 pm (#)

How delicious, Christine!!! I love the sound of the toasted spices you’ve added to your ground turkey. What a delightfully spicy burger!

12. Jen @JuanitasCocina — August 11, 2013 @ 12:04 pm (#)

Any girl that grinds her own spices is a girl after my own heart.

13. Heather @girlichef — August 11, 2013 @ 11:19 am (#)

This is the perfect light meal for summertime (okay, anytime really)! I love the spices in there, and I just know they really kick that turkey up a notch.

14. Ruthy @ Omeletta — August 11, 2013 @ 11:09 am (#)

Yeah for turkey burgers! I’ve been using ground turkey more and more lately, trying to cut back on the ridic amount of beef we eat in my house. This looks like the perfect addition to that rotation- I love your spice blend. Yum!

15. Helene D'souza — August 11, 2013 @ 10:33 am (#)

I am drooling here and I want your spicy turkey burger!! Sounds like my kind of food, thank you for sharing!

16. Nichole C — August 11, 2013 @ 9:42 am (#)

I love using coriander and cumin for a kick! I use those spices quite often! Your pitas look great!

1. Skillet Jambalaya #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks — August 11, 2014
  2. {Healthier} Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes - Cupcakes & Kale Chips — March 10, 2014
  3. Buffalo Chicken Pizza #SundaySupper — October 16, 2013
  4. Venison Mole Rojo #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere — August 14, 2013
  5. Tomato + Poblano Pie Recipe #AnAppealingPlan #SundaySupper — August 13, 2013
  6. Tofu Hariyali Kebabs-Tofu Kebabs in Cilantro Sauce — August 12, 2013
  7. Crispy Oven Fried Buffalo Chicken Tenders for a Spicy #SundaySupper - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP — August 12, 2013
  8. BBQ Chicken Pizza with Poblano Peppers | The Wimpy Vegetarian — August 11, 2013
  9. Homemade Buffalo Sauce #SundaySupper - Growing Up Gabel — August 11, 2013
  10. Skinny Buffalo Chicken Strips #SundaySupper | Webicurean — August 11, 2013
  11. Jalapeno Popper Fettuccine Alfredo | Chocolate Moosey — August 11, 2013
  12. Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Scones Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc — August 11, 2013
  13. Sriracha and Parmesan Fries #SundaySupper : Mess Makes Food — August 11, 2013
  14. Hatch Chile, Grape and Grilled Onion Salsa — Shockingly Delicious — August 11, 2013
  15. Baked Banana Pepper Poppers | Daily Dish Recipes — August 11, 2013
  16. Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadew Peppers | Healthy. Delicious. — August 11, 2013
  17. Firecracker Chicken ~ Spice It Up #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina — August 11, 2013
  18. Whole grain Mustard recipe - Moutarde à l'ancienne — August 11, 2013
  19. Spicy Stuffed Mexican Peppers #SundaySupper — August 11, 2013
  20. Smoky Salmon Chowder for #SundaySupper - Cindy's Recipes and Writings — August 11, 2013
  21. Homemade Sriracha Sauce #SundaySupper - kimchi MOM ™ — August 11, 2013
  22. Crispy and Spicy Lemon Chicken Thighs #SundaySupper — Family Foodie — August 11, 2013
  23. Spicy Thai Beef Salad Recipe | Magnolia Days — August 11, 2013