Edamole! A Mexican Dip Recipe With Edamame

Today I’m sharing a Guacamole recipe that uses edamame instead of avocados. Find out why below!

A Guacamole Recipe with Edamame instead of avocadoes! This Mexican Edamame Dip is lower fat and more protein than guacamole and is perfect for avocado-haters.

The Hubs and I were at IHOP for breakfast with the kids. I was telling him that I couldn’t come up with a good idea for a Guacamole recipe. I said, “What on earth can I do? Guacamole pizza? Guacamole fries? Nothing sounds good!”

He laughed and said,

If you ask me, the best Guacamole would be one without avocados. I can’t stand those things!

At first I didn’t take him seriously. I was like, “Yeah, yeah, funny. I knew you wouldn’t be any help with this one.”

But then inspiration struck me.
Or maybe you’re the best help in the world! Guacamole without avocados! But how to do it? White bean dip with green food coloring?? Ewwww.

My ever-brilliant (and not-at-all-sarcastic husband) responded,

Wouldn’t it be easier, and less gross, to use a bean that’s already green? An edamame dip, perhaps?

And that’s what I did. I came up with a dip recipe with edamame as the main component!

A Mexican Edamame Dip.

Frozen shelled edamame simmered in water and then puréed with Mexican flavorings.

Ingredients for a Guacamole Recipe with Edamame instead of avocadoes! This Mexican Edamame Dip is lower fat and more protein than guacamole and is perfect for avocado-haters.

The result is delicious but kind of eerie. It looks a lot like Guacamole, has a smooth texture that’s similar to Guacamole but it tastes…well…it tastes like Guacamole would taste if it didn’t have avocadoes in it.

I know that’s hard to imagine. But I’ve gotten many people to try it now and all of them are like, “Wow! That’s good. Hmmm…it tasted like…like…just like…ummm…Guacamole without the avocados.”

A side bonus of this recipe with edamame, let me just say, is that it has way less fat than guacamole, and also packs a good protein punch, making it a great alternative to guacamole not only for avocado-haters but also for those of us who are trying to keep those fat grams low.

Another option for a healthy dip recipe is my chocolate Greek yogurt fruit dip.

Chocolate Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip

I hope you like this guacamole dip recipe with edamame!

Do you have trouble cutting avocados? Don’t fret anymore. Try out this handy tool from Oxo:

17 Responses to “Edamole! A Mexican Dip Recipe With Edamame”

1. Debbie Caraballo — August 17, 2014 @ 2:33 pm (#)

This is perfect for me, as I just cannot eat Avocado! I’m very intrigued to see how this would taste…thanks so much!

2. Jen @JuanitasCocina — June 12, 2013 @ 8:59 pm (#)

I have some edamame in my freezer that I’ve been meaning to use! I can’t think of a better way to use them up!

3. katie — June 10, 2013 @ 11:58 am (#)

THis sounds so good. I have a bag of frozen edamame in my freezer… maybe I’ll make this as a snack!

4. Katerina — June 6, 2013 @ 6:08 am (#)

This is a great idea and a great story Christine!

5. phyllis — June 5, 2013 @ 9:40 pm (#)

Sounds really good and I will try it. However, I never used to like avocados, but now I mash them in all my salad sandwiches instead of mayo, love gucamole, and even just eat them plain with pepper.

• Christine Pittman — June 12, 2013 @ 10:14 am (#)

Isn’t it funny how our tastes change? You will definitely like this recipe, Mom. Or any edamame dip with flavorings. It’s really good.

6. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — June 5, 2013 @ 5:25 pm (#)

I’m not a big fan of avocado, so this sounds much better than traditional guac to me! Delicious!

• Christine Pittman — June 12, 2013 @ 10:15 am (#)

Then this is perfect for you! My husband totally loves it and he too doesn’t like avocados.

7. Amanda @ Amanda's Apron — June 5, 2013 @ 12:30 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing this, Christine! Such a great idea!

8. Jane's Adventures in Dinner — June 5, 2013 @ 10:22 am (#)

He’s cute and smart! What a combo. Small one will eat this like there’s no tomorrow.

9. Cortne @ Coco in Magnolia — June 5, 2013 @ 8:25 am (#)

Genius! My hubs was like what? When I made tomatillo, guac salsa. He doesn’t care for avocados either. But he loves edamame. I will try this. Thanks Christine.
    Cortne