Dried Apricot Canapes

Hello Cooking Pal! This month I’m celebrating Spring entertaining by focusing on some healthy appetizer recipes, specifically Les Canapés. These little morsels are the perfect easy appetizers to keep you eating and having fun with your company without worrying about over-indulgence. Today’s recipe is for Apricot Canapés with Goat Cheese, Almonds and Rosemary.

Let me help you spend less time in the kitchen and more time at the table with family in friends. I’m always serving up easy recipes and great quick-cooking tips. I’d be delighted to send you weekly emails with it all so that you don’t miss any of the yum. Subscribe here:

My Gee Gee passed away when I was 12 of a stroke. My Baba struggled with heart issues for all the years that I had her in my life. Many of my other family members now struggle with their weight, cholesterol and blood pressure. None of these have become a huge issue for me.

Not yet.

But I know that they will if I don’t take charge of my health now. It’s not just to be thinner. It’s to make sure that I stick around to be here for my kids. To hug them, play ball with them, dress up for Halloween with them, go snorkeling, watch fireworks, watch them laugh, hear what they learn, see who they love.

I’ve been making an effort but I find some things about healthy-eating harder than others.

Entertaining frightens me.

I find appetizers particularly difficult. They’re so often loaded with cheese and salt. I want to make them to spoil my guests but then I want to eat them too. And I know I shouldn’t.

But I do.

Finding delicious but healthy appetizer recipes can be hard. But I’m determined. It’s important. Thankfully, I think I’ve figured out a pretty good healthy appetizer strategy:

Les Canapés!

Oh, j’adore les canapés! In fact, I’ll be focusing on canapés all through March.

Apricots with Goat Cheese, Almonds and Rosemary. Canapés make for such simple and healthy appetizer recipes. Celebrate them with us all through March!Why are canapés the perfect healthy appetizer for entertaining?

First and foremost, they’re portioned. I put one in my mouth and I know that it’s a single portion. I might have another, and maybe one more. But I’m not going to eat 20, the way I might sit there and plunge 20 chips into a dip (and then get all mad at myself. You know the drill).

Second, they’re small. Even if there is some cheese or other saturated fat, salt, sugar, whatever, there’s not going to be very much of it. I can eat one and usually know that I’m not doing much damage to my diet.

Third, they’re so darned pretty. We eat with our eyes first. Having a pretty morsel in front of me, even if it’s a healthy one, makes me feel like I’m indulging even if I’m not. How satisfying!

Have I convinced you?

If so, celebrate Les Canapés with me! Get more canapé recipes by clicking here.

4.8 from 4 reviews
Apricot Canapés with Goat Cheese, Almonds and Rosemary
Prep time
Total time
Apricots are a superbly heart-healthy food, which is why I chose them as the base for this little canapé. This easy and healthy appetizer recipe is sweet, tangy, salty and herby all at once. A single bite hits so many taste buds that you'd never know it was good for you! I've constructed this recipe such that it makes 8 little canapés. But you'll see that it is extremely simple to adjust it to make any number that you want.
Recipe type: appetizer
Serves: 3-4
  • 8 whole dried apricots
  • 2 tsp goat cheese
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 salt-roasted whole almonds, roughly chopped
  • 8 fresh rosemary leaves
  1. Place the apricots on a serving plate. Top each one with a little ¼ teaspoon scoop of goat cheese and smoosh it down a bit. Grind some pepper over the whole plate.
  2. Using the goat cheese as the glue to which your remaining items will stick, sprinkle each bit of goat cheese with one-eighth of the almonds (a good pinch on each one is about right) and then gently press on two rosemary leaves.
  3. Indulge!

This post was part of a group of posts that bloggers did in March to focus on heart disease and present healthy recipes. Here are all the recipes from the bloggers participating in Recipes And Stories From Our Hearts To Yours. Read the stories, think about those you’ve lost, those you could lose and how you can make a difference for you and your own family by eating healthily, exercising, having a healthy lifestyle and managing to stick around for all those important moments that you know you don’t want to miss. I know that I don’t want to miss a single one.

Spicy Oven Fries by Cravings of a Lunatic

Healthy Snacking with Radish Dip by Juanita’s Cocina

Arugula, Walnut Pesto by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

Farro Salad with Citrus Basil Vinaigrette by It’s Yummi!

Chicken-Quinoa Burgers with an Avocado Yogurt Sauce by The Spiffy Cookie

Ahi Tuna Salad by Noshing with the Nolands

Canapes of Apricot, Goat Cheese, Almonds and Rosemary by Cook the Story

Thai Chicken Soup by From Cupcakes to Caviar

Black Bean Quesadillas by Pastry Chef Online

Sautéed Rataouille with Quinoa by Whipped

Polenta Rounds with Apples and Cheddar by Diethood

40 Responses to “Dried Apricot Canapes”

1. Kylie — November 23, 2014 @ 3:15 am (#)

I made these for my party tonight and they were perfect! So easy and delicious. I was given a big bag of dried apricots and this was a lovely way to use them.

• Christine Pittman — November 25, 2014 @ 9:29 am (#)

Kylie, That is so wonderful to hear. I’m delighted that you made the recipe and that you liked it. I haven’t actually made these in awhile but I have some apricots in the pantry. I’m going to make some and take them to Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for the reminder!! -Christine

2. JanetFCTC — March 8, 2013 @ 5:46 pm (#)

What a neat appetizer. I love both goat cheese and dried apricots so this is one I know I’ll be trying soon.

3. Katerina — March 7, 2013 @ 5:21 am (#)

I never thought of transforming dried apricots to canapes. They sure look very appetizing!

4. Renee — March 6, 2013 @ 7:59 pm (#)

What pretty canapes! I’ve never thought about using dried apricots. Brilliant idea. They go so well with the goat cheese and almonds. It would be one tasty bite for sure!

5. Tara — March 6, 2013 @ 7:03 pm (#)

What a great recipe!! So different, I love it!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

6. Angela — March 5, 2013 @ 11:21 pm (#)

I love the idea of using dried fruit as a base–brilliant! I am going to try some variations, since I no longer eat bread.

7. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 5, 2013 @ 9:47 pm (#)

Heart disease has touched so many people…
    These canapes look so pretty! Great to serve at a party or anytime for a healthy option!

8. Shannah @ Just Us Four — March 5, 2013 @ 9:12 pm (#)

I love canapes of any kind. The healthy aspect of these make them even better. We are having girls night in this month and these are so going on the menu!

9. Liz — March 5, 2013 @ 5:02 pm (#)

I love dried apricots and filling them with goat cheese sounds like a scrumptious appetizer!! I’m sorry your family has been touched by heart disease….

10. Kim Beaulieu — March 5, 2013 @ 2:23 pm (#)

First of all thank you so much for joining us today. It’s a pleasure and honour to have you. These look so good, cute and healthy food just makes me so happy. I don’t make enough canapes. I need to change that. I now know where to come when I need a fabulous recipe.

I am sorry about your Gee Gee. And for BaBa who struggled. It’s amazing how many people are touched by heart issues. I like the way you approach it, it’s not just about being thin, but being healthy. I think more of us need to think like that. I’ve struggled with my own battles over the years and getting older and closer to the age my mom passed at scares the heck out of me. So it’s just time to start making some changes so I can be around for my kids and one day, grandkids.

Thanks again for sharing today. It means the world to me that you did this. xx

11. Jenni — March 5, 2013 @ 1:59 pm (#)

Christine, these little apps are the cutest! Most folks think of using a cracker or crostini as a base; I love that you chose little apricot saucers. Wonderful, healthy combination of ingredients here.

I am really enjoying reading all of the heart-healthy recipes in this collaboration. And hearing everyone’s stories. The more I read, the more it hits home that heart disease is more than just statistics. It’s families. More than enough reason to look at the way we eat.

12. Paula — March 5, 2013 @ 1:07 pm (#)

What a wonderful collaboration for a very worthwhile cause! I think your apricot canapes are both healthy and delicious. What a great little appetizer.

13. Meghan {For the Love of Dessert} — March 5, 2013 @ 11:53 am (#)

I think you could add reason #4, they look elegant and are sooo easy to put together! This recipe looks amazing in both taste and presentation! It’s hard to get that from something that will take you less than 10 minutes! :)

14. Jen @JuanitasCocina — March 5, 2013 @ 11:06 am (#)

It’s like you put all of my favorite foods in one little bite! So gorgeous and so amazing!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and this fabulous recipe!

15. Becca from It's Yummilicious — March 5, 2013 @ 9:09 am (#)

What beautiful canapes, Christine! I WISH I had the self-control to stop at one (or three!), but I may have to cut off my fingers to prevent myself from delighting in the entire tray of these!!

All of my grandparents passed away before I was born, so as saddened as I am that you’ve lost yours, I’m secretly a bit envious that you had a special bond with your grandmas <3

1. 100+ Healthy Holiday Appetizer Recipes + Cocktail Party Menu Planning Tips - Jeanette's Healthy Living — December 17, 2014
  2. 7 Easy Appetizer and Party Snack Ideas | Natalie Weick — December 2, 2014
  3. 7 Easy Appetizer and Party Snack Ideas - K12 - Learning Liftoff - Free Parenting, Education, and Homeschooling Resources — December 1, 2014
  4. Healthy Cheese And Crackers Appetizers – About Food & Health — August 11, 2014
  5. Pin'Inspiratinal Thursday And A Friend To Meet - Cook the Story — March 29, 2014
  6. New Year’s Eve Appetizers – Bite Sized Hors d'Oeuvres | Masala Herb — December 29, 2013
  7. Easy Appetizers: Apricot with Lemon Pepper Cream Cheese Canapés — December 18, 2013
  8. Rich & Charlie's Salad — March 7, 2013
  9. Lunatic Loves | March 6 | Cravings of a Lunatic — March 6, 2013
  10. Pin’inspiration For The Beginning Of March — March 6, 2013
  11. Healthy Snacking with Creamy Radish Dip ~ #RecipesFromTheHeart! | Juanita's Cocina — March 5, 2013
  12. Thai Chicken Coconut Soup | From Cupcakes To Caviar — March 5, 2013
  13. It's Yummilicious — Farro Salad with Citrus Basil Vinaigrette #recipesfromtheheart — March 5, 2013
  14. Arugula Walnut Pesto | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — March 5, 2013
  15. Ahi Tuna Salad #recipesfromtheheart | Noshing With The Nolands — March 5, 2013
  16. Hoisin FlounderTaking On Magazines One Recipe at a Time — March 5, 2013
  17. Apple Walnut Spinach Salad Recipe | Magnolia Days — March 5, 2013
  18. Recipes From the Heart {Heart Friendly Veggie Nachos} — March 5, 2013
  19. Have a Heart: Make-Ahead Chocolate Oatmeal | Crumb: A Food BlogCrumb: A Food Blog — March 5, 2013
  20. Polenta Cakes with Apples and Cheddar — March 5, 2013
  21. Chicken-Quinoa Burgers with an Avocado-Yogurt Sauce | The Spiffy Cookie — March 5, 2013
  22. Italian Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf — March 5, 2013
  23. Black Bean Quesadillas with Salsa Rice | Pastry Chef Online — March 5, 2013
  24. Spicy Oven Fries in Memory of Momzie #recipesfromtheheart | Cravings of a Lunatic — March 5, 2013