Easy Champagne Cocktails: The Barbowhatever
When we were in Philadelphia in November I ordered one of the Champagne Cocktails off of a menu in a restaurant. It was called a Barbotage. I *loved* it. When I got home I immediately looked up what was in it. I wound up confused. I found some recipes that seemed like they might be what I had (Champagne spiked with orange liqueur and brandy). But others had no spirits but did have bitters and still others had orange juice and grenadine.
The Champagne Cocktail recipe that I’m sharing with you today is as close to the one I had in Philly as I can get. I’m not sure if it’s authentically a Barbotage or not. I’m calling it a Barbowhatever. When something’s this good it doesn’t matter what you call it, right?
This recipe is part of my New Year’s Eve series “6 Easy Champagne Cocktails, 9 Simple Ingredients”. Get the list of nine ingredients here. And here are the other cocktails we’ve gotten to so far:
- ice cubes
- ½ ounce orange liqueur (like Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
- ½ ounce brandy or cognac
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ¾ of a cup of sparkling wine
- a slice of orange for garnish
- Put 8-10 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Add the orange liqueur, brandy and lemon juice. Put the lid on and shake it, baby.
- Pour it into a brandy snifter. Pour in the sparkling wine. Add a couple more ice cubes and the orange slice. Sip slowly.
Now tell me, what’s your favorite stiff drink?