Peppermint Hot Chocolate Float

Today I’m sharing my recipe for a Peppermint Hot Chocolate Float. This non-alcoholic drink will be perfect for warming you up on a cool day.

On Sunday evening, after having spent a lovely few days with my brother and his family who are visiting from Canada and with my parents who have snow-birded in, the hubs and I took the kids for a walk to see all of our neighbors’ homes glittering with lights. M loves little lights and it was so fun to watch her get excited with each house we passed. J, well, he just loves to run. So he ran ahead to the next house and then back to tell us what we would soon see (and what we could already see but pretended to not be able to see).

Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe, easy flavored hot chocolate

It was a cool-ish day for a change here in Central Florida.

Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe, easy flavored hot chocolate

But not cool enough for hot chocolate.

So we made Peppermint Hot Chocolate Floats.

If you’ve got kids under 18 in the house, it’s perfect. If it’s all adults, you should also check out my recipe for homemade Irish Cream.

Homemade Irish Cream Recipe

Peppermint Hot Chocolate Float

An easy holiday treat to make any kid smile.

• 2 tbsp candy cane hot chocolate powder
  • 8 ounces hot water
  • a big scoop of chocolate ice cream (at least 1/3 of a cup)

1. Measure the candy cane hot chocolate powder into a mug. Add the hot water. Stir until all or most of the candy cane pieces are dissolved.
  2. Top with the scoop of ice cream. Don't stir. Just let it float on top and slowly melt in as you sip.

10 Responses to “Peppermint Hot Chocolate Float”

1. JulieD — December 21, 2012 @ 2:31 pm (#)

We have all been feeling it…it’s so odd and not fair. xoxo to you and your family, Christine!!

2. Paula — December 19, 2012 @ 4:48 pm (#)

I think this was a post that we can all understand and relate to. It is best for you and your family, especially your children, that you keep on as normally as possible and give your kids the kind of Christmas they are looking forward too…with extra hugs for everyone.

• Christine Pittman — December 21, 2012 @ 10:16 am (#)

Thanks for the supportive words, Paula. It’s good to know that I’m not alone in how I’m feeling about this sad tragedy.

3. Suai — December 19, 2012 @ 3:04 pm (#)

Hiccups of sadness. That’s such an apt way to describe how I feel. It’s the same. One minute I’ll be laughing with the kids and the next fight back tears. Yummy recipe.

• Christine Pittman — December 21, 2012 @ 10:17 am (#)

Thanks for the comment Susi. It’s good to know that others feel the same way. Best wishes for a safe, happy and healthy holiday season to you and your family.

4. Samantha — December 18, 2012 @ 12:56 pm (#)

Christine, I think we are in sync or something. I just published a post on candy cane hot chocolate this morning and was planning on sharing it tonight during the hangout. Also, I felt so strange sharing a cute holiday recipe with recent events going on. I had so much to say yet no words. Talk to you later tonight. :)

• Christine Pittman — December 21, 2012 @ 11:10 am (#)

I know what you mean. It’s also hard to figure out what’s appropriate on a food blog. I mean, I get a touch political or personal sometimes but mostly people come here for the food and light conversation. Does that mean that we should ignore tragedies or big world/political events and stay focused on the food? Or do we stray. And if we stray, how often do we do it and how much? You know what? THAT would be a great topic for BlogHer Food. Lol. Loved talking with you on Tuesday night. Happy Holidays!

1. 100+ Brunch Recipes, with a Hot Maple Walnut Coffee Float — September 15, 2015
  2. Top 40 Peppermint Recipes — December 17, 2013
  3. Mushroom, Leek and Barley Side Dish Recipe : Cook the Story — January 7, 2013