Homemade Food Gift: Candy Cane Hot Chocolate

This Candy Cane hot Chocolate is a super-simple homemade gift for the holidays. It is deliciously exactly what it sounds like: Crushed up candy canes mixed with hot chocolate powder.

Candy Cane Hot Chocolate, a flavored hot chocolate to give as a homemade food gift. This goes really well with my free Christmas Gift Tags and Coordinating Recipe Tags

The Candy Cane Hot Chocolate looks really pretty in a jar and tastes like Christmas when mixed with hot milk or hot water in a mug, making it the ultimate homemade food gift.

I’ve mixed up a big batch and am planning to take a little jar of this flavored hot chocolate powder with me as a hostess gift to any parties that we’re lucky enough to be invited to.

Note though that the “big batch” I made has been reduced by quite a bit since The Hubs has a particular fondness for mint and chocolate together. I guess I’ll be making another batch soon! At least it’s easy to make.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate Powder
Prep time
Total time
The instructions here make about 1 and ¼ cups of Candy Cane Hot Chocolate Powder, which is plenty to fill a small jar to give as a hostess gift. But the recipe can be doubled, tripled, octupled or whatever to fill any sized jar you'd like. Because crushing the candy canes can be a tad messy, I tend to make a quadruple batch, store it in a larger container and then spoon some into a jar when I'm ready to take it as a gift to someone. Make sure to write out a note to go with the gift that says how much powder to combine with how much liquid. The usual amounts for most brands of hot chocolate are 2 tablespoons of powder to 8 ounces of hot milk or water.
Recipe type: Homemade Food Gift
Serves: 8
  • 1 cup hot chocolate powder (such as Ovaltine brand)
  • a small jar
  • 3 ounces of peppermint candy (that's about 6 regular-sized candy canes)
  • a large heavy duty plastic zipper bag (like ziplock)
  • a gift tag
  • a ribbon
  1. Measure the hot chocolate powder into a small jar. Set aside.
  2. Put the peppermint candies into a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag. Smash the candy through the bag using a rolling pin or a heavy bottomed skillet. Keep smashing until a lot of the candy is powder but there are still some bigger pieces with the identifiable red and white swirl (these are just so that the powder in the jar looks pretty. Don't worry - they will dissolve in hot liquid rapidly enough as long as there aren't too many big pieces).
  3. Pour the crushed candy into the jar. Put the lid on the jar and shake it once or twice.
  4. Write out your gift tag and string it onto the ribbon. Tie the ribbon around the jar. Give to someone as a token of thanks for being warm and kind enough to invite you into their home.

18 Responses to “Homemade Food Gift: Candy Cane Hot Chocolate”

1. hypnosis anxiety — June 13, 2014 @ 8:16 am (#)

No longer is blurting out some ill thought out words
    the only option. Change to a brand of cigarette you don’t normally smoke, that you don’t really like.
    Although scientist and researchers cannot fully
    explain hypnosis, they will agree that this is a state of altered consciousness.

2. janie — December 8, 2013 @ 10:46 am (#)

I love the hot chocolate idea! I’m going to try it! Merry Christmas to you and yours! :-)

• Christine Pittman — December 10, 2013 @ 11:18 am (#)

Janie, So happy you like it. It’s a real treat. My kids ask for it all the time, even in the summer! If you try it, let me know. I’d love to know what you think.

3. sel — November 29, 2013 @ 12:20 am (#)

how long does it last?

4. Paula — November 28, 2012 @ 3:48 pm (#)

Delicious gift idea :)

5. Samantha — November 28, 2012 @ 2:13 pm (#)

I’m definitely using your tags, Christine. I will let you know what I put them on when I figure that out…Maybe this hot chocolate. I need something for my boyfriends parents but I have absolutely no idea what they would like.

• Christine Pittman — November 28, 2012 @ 9:28 pm (#)

So happy you like them! Stay tuned because I have a spiced coffee mix coming up soon that might work, if they’re coffee drinkers.

6. Ruthy — November 27, 2012 @ 9:31 pm (#)

I love this! One of my favorite Christmas treats is a candy cane dipped in hot chocolate, so this is a perfect hostess gift. And your tags are adorable. Thanks!

• Christine Pittman — November 28, 2012 @ 11:30 am (#)

Yay! So happy you like the tags and the hot chocolate idea, Ruthy. You’re welcome.

1. 70 Peppermint Recipes- 12 Days of Round Ups - The Spring Mount 6 Pack — December 11, 2014
  2. Peppermint links - The Spring Mount 6 Pack — December 11, 2014
  3. disney cookie jars — October 18, 2014
  4. 10 Best Hostess Gift Ideas and Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe — December 12, 2013
  5. Holiday Open House on Google+ - Cook the Story : Cook the Story — December 21, 2012
  6. An Easy Way to Decorate a Cake for Christmas: Candy Cane Stripes : Cook the Story — December 20, 2012
  7. Easy Peppermint Hot Chocolate Float Recipe : Cook the Story — December 18, 2012
  8. Sustainable Seafood Giftpack Giveaway and an Informative Salmon Video : Cook the Story — November 30, 2012
  9. Make Your Own Christmas Coffee Blend As A Homemade Food Gift : Cook the Story — November 29, 2012