Homemade Food Gift: Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
This Candy Cane hot Chocolate is a super-simple homemade gift for the holidays. It is deliciously exactly what it sounds like: Crushed up candy canes mixed with hot chocolate powder.
The Candy Cane Hot Chocolate looks really pretty in a jar and tastes like Christmas when mixed with hot milk or hot water in a mug, making it the ultimate homemade food gift.
I’ve mixed up a big batch and am planning to take a little jar of this flavored hot chocolate powder with me as a hostess gift to any parties that we’re lucky enough to be invited to.
Note though that the “big batch” I made has been reduced by quite a bit since The Hubs has a particular fondness for mint and chocolate together. I guess I’ll be making another batch soon! At least it’s easy to make.
- 1 cup hot chocolate powder (such as Ovaltine brand)
- a small jar
- 3 ounces of peppermint candy (that's about 6 regular-sized candy canes)
- a large heavy duty plastic zipper bag (like ziplock)
- a gift tag
- a ribbon
- Measure the hot chocolate powder into a small jar. Set aside.
- Put the peppermint candies into a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag. Smash the candy through the bag using a rolling pin or a heavy bottomed skillet. Keep smashing until a lot of the candy is powder but there are still some bigger pieces with the identifiable red and white swirl (these are just so that the powder in the jar looks pretty. Don't worry - they will dissolve in hot liquid rapidly enough as long as there aren't too many big pieces).
- Pour the crushed candy into the jar. Put the lid on the jar and shake it once or twice.
- Write out your gift tag and string it onto the ribbon. Tie the ribbon around the jar. Give to someone as a token of thanks for being warm and kind enough to invite you into their home.
18 Responses to “Homemade Food Gift: Candy Cane Hot Chocolate”
- 70 Peppermint Recipes- 12 Days of Round Ups - The Spring Mount 6 Pack
- Peppermint links - The Spring Mount 6 Pack
- disney cookie jars
- 10 Best Hostess Gift Ideas and Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe
- Holiday Open House on Google+ - Cook the Story : Cook the Story
- An Easy Way to Decorate a Cake for Christmas: Candy Cane Stripes : Cook the Story
- Easy Peppermint Hot Chocolate Float Recipe : Cook the Story
- Sustainable Seafood Giftpack Giveaway and an Informative Salmon Video : Cook the Story
- Make Your Own Christmas Coffee Blend As A Homemade Food Gift : Cook the Story