Food Budget Tips: Our Chat with Laura

I don’t like to think about how much money I spend at the grocery store. My best strategy for spending less is to avoid going there. Seriously, every time I walk into the grocery store I drop at least $60, even if I’m just going in for milk. Overspending is something that happens to all of us at times, which is why Katie and I decided to chat with Laura from Small Wallet Big Appetite about her best food budget tips.

The most interesting thing to me was that her biggest piece of advice regarding food budget friendly meals revolved around meat. Given our chat about Flexitarianism last week, I find myself thinking even more about those meat-centered dinners and meat portions.

Here’s our informative and fun chat with Laura about budget-friendly food.

Now tell me, what’s your best tip for keeping your food budget down?

12 Responses to “Food Budget Tips: Our Chat with Laura”

1. phyllis — November 12, 2012 @ 1:09 pm (#)

This chat is one of my favorites so far. Laura is so real and honest, I actually felt that I could have jumped in and had a conversation with her. Her budget lowering information was bang on. Way to go guys. Great post.

• Christine Pittman — November 12, 2012 @ 1:45 pm (#)

Thanks Mom! We loved talking with Laura too and can’t wait to have her on again soon.

2. Susi — November 10, 2012 @ 10:40 am (#)

I always try to go to the store with a shopping list and meals somewhat planned out for the week ahead. There are certain staples we always have in the house. It’s hard to always stick to the list but I try as best as I can. Also, I try to go shopping without the kids and it makes a big, big difference!

• Christine Pittman — November 10, 2012 @ 2:20 pm (#)

Yes, without the kids is key! I rarely manage to do that but when I do I am more able to make smart decisions rather than rushed ones. Being able to concentrate on what’s going into my cart makes a huge difference.

3. Angie — November 9, 2012 @ 9:54 am (#)

Those are some great tips!

4. Amanda — November 8, 2012 @ 11:57 pm (#)

I go to the grocery store with several meals planned out in mind. I also always keep my pantry stocked with essentials: flour, sugar, oils, beans, rice, quinoa, spices, etc. so I have anything I need when I feel like getting creative. Like Liz, I also make a lot of things from scratch like hummus!

• Christine Pittman — November 9, 2012 @ 10:44 am (#)

Amanda,
      I totally agree that being stocked is key. If I suddenly have the urge to make a particular dish and don’t have the ingredients I find myself heading to the grocery store where I not only buy what I need at the moment but a whole bunch of other probably unnecessary things. I always say that the fewer times I go to the grocery store, the better!

• Liz — November 9, 2012 @ 11:52 am (#)

Definitely! Extra trips to the grocery store can be disastrous on the budget. And once you make your own hummus, you just can’t eat the stuff from the store. Am I right? lol

5. Liz — November 8, 2012 @ 12:05 pm (#)

It sure is difficult to stay on a food budget these days. Here are a couple of tricks that have helped me save money: I make my own chicken bone broth and use it to cook rice and veggies, which makes a great dinner. You get so many nutrients from the bones, and it feels like you had a meal that contains meat. I also make my own yogurt and sauerkraut. By making my own yogurt I not only cut back on food additives, but I’m also able to make organic yogurt that costs about 38 cents per full cup. Homemade sauerkraut costs only pennies per serving, and it is so tasty!

• Christine Pittman — November 9, 2012 @ 10:42 am (#)

Wow! I’m going to try to find a recipe for homemade yogurt. Is there one on your blog? That sounds amazing. My parents make their own sauerkroaut but I never have. I do love me some kraut. Unfortunately, nobody else in my house does. Oh, and hey, the chicken stock tip is great. I never think to cook veggies in broth but you’re right that it would add plenty of free nutrients! Thanks for visiting and for commenting!

• Liz — November 9, 2012 @ 11:49 am (#)

Not on my blog, but here’s a little something I wrote about yogurt I make without a yogurt maker: http://www.squidoo.com/making-yogurt-at-home-without-a-yogurt-maker

I’m also the only one who eats sauerkraut in my house, but it’s nice to have an “instant vegetable” on hand that doesn’t spoil and goes with almost everything!

Thanks, Christine! I’ve been following you for a couple of years now, and I love how your blog has evolved.

• Christine Pittman — November 10, 2012 @ 2:14 pm (#)

Thanks for the tips and the compliment, Liz. My blog has been evolving a lot lately and I think it’s going to go through a few more changes soon. I’ve been loving it!