Lazy Girl’s Brussels Sprouts Gratin

This Brussels Sprouts Gratin Recipe is killer. You’re going to love it!

I’m lazy. Seriously lazy. Worse than that, I constantly forget just how lazy I am. I make all kinds of big plans and then when the time comes to execute them I decide to nap or to spend the day watching PVRs of Up with Chris Hayes (I spend so much time with this smart geeky-cute guy that The Hubs is beginning to get suspicious!).

For this version I transferred the roasted sprouts to individual ramekins before drizzling with cream and adding the breadcrumb topping. Extra points for prettiness. Negative points for effort. (Although it wasn’t really THAT hard).

This explains why I never make gratins. Gratins always sound brilliant in theory, but when I’m actually supposed to be making one the idea of prepping the veg, cooking it, whisking béchamel and grating cheese convinces me to stay seated and stay focused on Chris’s dark-rimmed glasses and his big quick brain.

And so, my family winds up with yet another pan of roasted vegetables. Good. Delicious in fact. But never the creamily cheesy treat of a gratin.

That is, until this weekend when I let laziness and gratin-making unite into an easy little miracle that I call Lazy Girl’s Brussels Sprouts Gratin. Creamy, rich, cheesy and full of vegetable goodness but you barely need to do anything at all. It’s perfection in a gratin dish!

For this Brussels sprouts gratin, the sprouts are roasted right in the gratin/casserole dish. Then you drizzle them with a bit of cream and top them with a simple breadcrumb and cheese mixture before returning it all to the oven to get a crisp top. Easy! Delicious! And best of all, I only had to press pause on Chris for about 10 minutes to get it done.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Lazy Girl's Brussels Sprout Gratin
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Easiest. Gratin. Ever.
Serves: 4
  • 1 lb medium-sized brussels sprouts
  • 2 tbsps olive oil, divided
  • kosher salt
  • coarse black pepper
  • ½ cup panko bread crumbs
  • ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, tightly packed
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ cup whipping cream*
  • a pinch of nutmeg
  1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Trim the bottom stem nub off of the brussels sprouts and cut them all in half. Put the sprouts in a gratin dish or casserole dish that is wide enough that the sprouts are only one or two deep. Oh, and be sure to include any little leaves that fell off in the trimming process since these will get nice and crispy and extra delicious when roasted.
  2. Toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon of coarse black pepper. Roast in the oven until they are starting to get nice and brown but are still a bit al dente when pricked with a fork, 25-30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile combine the panko, cheddar, garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Use your fingers to get in there and mix it, crumbling as you go so that the cheese breaks up into smaller bits and really mixes into the crumbs. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and mix up the crumbs again.
  4. Measure the whipping cream into a measuring cup and then stir in the nutmeg. Drizzle the cream over the roasted sprouts and then stir them up a bit to get them all evenly coated. Spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly on top and then return the dish to the oven until the crumbs are crispily brown, 15-20 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes before turning off the tv and digging in.
*I was once asked by a friend if she could use "whipping cream from a can" in one of my recipes. I was like, "I've never seen it in a can before." She was like, "You know. A squirt can!" To which I was like, "No, no no! That is NOT whipping cream. That is WHIPPED cream." And then she was like, "umm...what's the difference." And I was like, "They are technically the same thing but one has air added to it and usually sugar. I'm honestly not at all sure what would happen if you used unsweetened whipped cream. I suspect that it would melt down and work fine. The only issue would be in figuring out how much to use since you need to account for all that air. You would definitely NOT want to try using sweetened whipped cream though, unless of course your goal was to turn this gratin into a rather odd and very experimental dessert course." She was like, "Oh. Okay."

If you’d like to share this recipe on Pinterest I’d love if you’d use this picture:

22 Responses to “Lazy Girl’s Brussels Sprouts Gratin”

1. — February 20, 2014 @ 1:46 pm (#)

Very shortly this web site will be famous amid all blogging viewers, due to it’s
    fastidious articles

2. Nancy A. — September 18, 2013 @ 6:00 am (#)

I love brussel sprouts and wondered if you can use frozen ones? I want to try this, they sound delicious, just wondered if I should buy the fresh or frozen. Great recipes on your site!!

• Christine Pittman — September 18, 2013 @ 9:11 am (#)

Hi Nancy,
      Thanks so much for the compliment. I’ve never tried this recipe with frozen Brussels sprouts, only fresh. But I think it would work. What I’m not sure about is whether the frozen sprouts would crisp and caramelize in the original roasting. They’ll have more water content than fresh so they might not. But that’s o.k.. As long as they’re fork tender you can proceed with the recipe. You won’t get the caramelization flavor, but everything else will be great. Let me know if you try it and how it works out.

3. Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice — December 10, 2012 @ 10:38 am (#)

Hmmm…this sounds delish. I’m looking for a Brussels sprouts recipe for Christmas. Will this fit the bill?

• Christine Pittman — December 11, 2012 @ 11:14 am (#)

Yes, it will! In fact, I made it for “Pretend Christmas” with my in-laws last night. It was a perfect accompaniment to our roast pork and roasted potatoes. The touch of nutmeg gives that Christmas feel to the dish as well. Let me know if you try it :).

4. Shannon B — November 6, 2012 @ 5:27 am (#)

Wow–I made this elegant little dish last night, and I was blown away! I have always been a fan of Brussels Sprouts, but this took them to a whole new level. I can’t wait to make the dish for others! I served it wtih Hummus Chicken, which just happened to be the post right next to this one on Foodgawker : ) Thanks for sharing this delicious dish!

• Christine Pittman — November 6, 2012 @ 9:43 am (#)

You have made my day! Thank you for trying the recipe. I am beyond delighted that you liked it. Oh, and hey, Would you believe that that same hummus chicken recipe is on my meal plan for later this week? I bet it would be awesome with the sprouts. I’m going to give it a try! Thanks for letting me know that you liked the recipe. It means a lot to me.

5. Julia | — October 26, 2012 @ 3:17 am (#)

What a wonderful hearty soup!

• Christine Pittman — October 26, 2012 @ 2:06 pm (#)

lol. It’s more like a vegetable casserole than a soup. Kind of like scalloped potatoes but with brussels sprouts, if that makes sense. Thanks for visiting!

6. Jeanette — October 22, 2012 @ 2:13 pm (#)

My kids are not big on brussels sprouts, but I am almost certain if I tried this, they would!

• Christine Pittman — October 25, 2012 @ 1:36 pm (#)

I wish you luck, Jeanette! Even with the creamy sauce and cheesy crust my 4 year old sussed out the sprouts and turned them down. He did try one first, at least. This gives me hope to keep trying!

7. Mikaela Cowles — October 17, 2012 @ 11:55 am (#)

I love all things brussel sprouts. And easy you say? I’m in.

p.s. We all need a little, “Nah, I’m not going to do that,” from time to time. At least, I do. So, you’re not alone.

• Christine Pittman — October 18, 2012 @ 10:12 am (#)

Thanks for the solidarity, Mikeala! Sometimes I think I’m the only lazy one out there. Good to know I’m not alone. (And yes! Super easy brussel sprout recipe. I promise!).

8. phyllis — October 16, 2012 @ 4:12 pm (#)

Would I be able to evaporated milk instead of whipping cream for a lighter version?

• Christine Pittman — October 16, 2012 @ 4:23 pm (#)

I bet that you could. However, since the whole gratin is going back into the oven at high heat I would be worried about curdling. Best to try it with the full fat evaporated milk which is less likely to curdle, just in case. Great question!

9. Laura Hunter — October 16, 2012 @ 10:55 am (#)

I love brussels sprouts and am always looking for new ways to prepare them. This looks so creamy and yummy I just have to give it a try next time I pick up some sprouts. :)

• Christine Pittman — October 16, 2012 @ 1:29 pm (#)

If you do try it, let me know how your family likes it. It’s so easy. And while it is creamy it’s not as gloppingly rich as some gratins. I think you’ll like making it and eating it. Thanks for commenting! Oh, and so looking forward to our upcoming Google+ hangout together on budget-friendly meals. Can’t wait!

1. Brussels Sprouts Bonanza – 30+ Best Fall/Winter Brussels Sprouts Recipes | The Hungry Goddess — November 19, 2014
  2. 52 Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes — November 26, 2013
  3. Perk Up Your Winter With These Ten Easy Side Dishes : Cook the Story — February 25, 2013
  4. Featured Food Blog: Cook the Story | Yummly — November 20, 2012
  5. Maple and Pumpkin Spice Seasoning for Pumpkin Seeds : Cook the Story — October 26, 2012