Frozen Watermelon: The Easiest Popsicle Ever

Super simple, super delicious! These Frozen Watermelon Popsicles only have one ingredient. Watermelon! It freezes into the perfect refreshing healthy summer treat.

It’s J’s (and the county’s) last day of school today. Watermelon is in season. It’s HOT outside.

I guess summer’s here. I should be happier about it but, alas, summer in Florida is not exactly the heavenly experience that it is on the rest of the continent. Not at all! Which is why I’ve been thinking a lot about ways to beat the heat this year and I’ve come up with a doozy.

It’s not often that we parents find a food that:

a) is healthy;

b) our kids LOVE;

c) is ridiculously easy to make.

Well, we’ve found one! Frozen Watermelon.

It’s slurpable and full of summer fun for the kids. And, since it’s low calorie and refreshingly not too sweet, mom can join in every time.

Cut watermelon into slices, trim off the rind, insert stick, freeze. No sugar or anything else added (except the popsicle stick, of course).

I hesitate to actually give a recipe since that’s all there is to it. But in case you want really explicit instructions, the recipe is below.

And do check out my other frozen watermelon recipes. These ones are not kid-friendly but are just as refreshing:

Frozen Watermelon White Wine Slush

Frozen Watermelon Wine Slush

Frozen Watermelon Granita

Watermelon Granita

~More fun summer snacks and desserts are only a click away~

Frozen Watermelon: The Easiest Popsicle Ever

Prep time
Total time

So simple. Stick watermelon on sticks and freeze!
Author:
Recipe type: snack
Serves: a lot
Ingredients
  • half of a seedless watermelon
  • popsicle sticks
Instructions
  1. From your watermelon, cut off one half moon of a slice about ¾ inch thick. Trim off the rind, poke off any pale seeds that are showing and then cut the sliceinto 3-4 triangles.
  2. Lay one triangle of watermelon on a cookie sheet. Slide a popsicle stick in at least halfway (I slide mine into the curved edge where the rind used to be but it doesn't really matter where you stick it as long as it goes at least halfway in and is completely surrounded by watermelon).
  3. Repeat with remaining watermelon until you have as many popsicles as you'd like (note that they can't be touching while they freeze or they become hard to break apart. So only make as many as you have space for on cookie sheets in your freezer).
  4. Spread the slices out on the cookie sheet so that they're not touching. Freeze on the cookie sheet for 3-4 hours, until frozen through. Eat or wrap watermelon popsicles individually in plastic wrap and return them to the freezer where they'll keep for 5-7 days.

21 Responses to “Frozen Watermelon: The Easiest Popsicle Ever”

1. Audrey Russell — June 4, 2012 @ 12:36 pm (#)

Chris, where do you get popsicle sticks?? I’ve been looking for them for our homemade “corn dogs” as well, and the best I’ve been able to substitute are coffee sticks (same shape as a popsicle stick but flimsy).

• Christine — June 4, 2012 @ 3:03 pm (#)

These come from the craft section of Target. I bought them ages ago for a craft, threw away the packaging and kept them in a ziplock bag. Now I find myself wondering if they were even food safe!?!?! But I bet Michaels and Joannes have them too, and they’d definitely have food safe ones. Worth trying Walmart also.

2. Kerry Ann (aka Vinobaby) — June 1, 2012 @ 4:18 pm (#)

Why have I not thought of this? So easy, so good, and it should make the watermelon last longer, right? (I sometimes end up throwing some away because after a few days in the fridge we just get watermeloned-out.)

• Christine — June 2, 2012 @ 10:11 pm (#)

That’s EXACTLY what made me think of it. I was pureeing watermelon to make juice to freeze into popsicles because I knew we weren’t going to get through it all. And then I was like, “It’d be so much easier if I didn’t have to puree it first. Hey wait. Do I have to puree it first.” Inserted sticks and had popsicles a couple of hours later. Yay!

3. katie — June 1, 2012 @ 7:18 am (#)

Love this idea—I have to give this a try the next time I buy a watermelon!

• Christine — June 1, 2012 @ 7:37 am (#)

I haven’t tried it myself but I’ve heard that soaking the slices in a bit of rum before freezing is a nice twist! I think you guys would like that :).

4. Paula — May 31, 2012 @ 10:52 am (#)

Now that is one refreshing summer treat!

• Christine — May 31, 2012 @ 3:14 pm (#)

For sure!

5. {Adventuresindinner} — May 31, 2012 @ 9:38 am (#)

Ok, if there was any doubt (which there really wasn’t) about your sheer brilliance then this recipe has settled it. Will ‘make’ these tonight!

• Christine — May 31, 2012 @ 3:14 pm (#)

I’m usually pretty modest but I have to agree that discovering this felt like sheer brilliance. I was amazed at me. I even googled around and couldn’t find anything like them online so I felt even more amazing. But then after posting it I’ve heard from many people about how they’ve been doing this for years. I even found an alcoholized version online. So brilliant, maybe. Original, not as much as I thought! Oh well. They’re still delicious and still make both J and me happy so all is well.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 10 Foods That Actually Taste Better When You Freeze Them — July 18, 2014
  2. 50+ Kid-Friendly Snacks | {i love} my disorganized life — October 26, 2013
  3. Best Healthy Popsicle Recipes | All Day I Dream About Food — August 14, 2013
  4. Healthy Tips for Entertaining: (Super Bowl & Beyond!) : Cook the Story — February 1, 2013
  5. C&K Talk Healthy Entertaining w/ The Lemon Bowl | Christine & Katie — January 30, 2013
  6. Cook the Story's Best Recipes of 2012 : Cook the Story — January 1, 2013
  7. 3 Easy 10 Minute Paleo Meals for Pregnancy » Paleo Pregnancy Guide — November 14, 2012
  8. How Zumba and P!nk Changed My New Year's Resolution - Cook the Story : Cook the Story — October 3, 2012
  9. Summer Boredom Busters {July 23rd – 27th} — July 23, 2012
  10. Cook the Story — June 26, 2012
  11. 3 Easy 10 Minute Paleo Meals for Pregnancy | Paleo Pregnancy Guide — June 9, 2012