Chipotle and Corn Soup

Chipotle and corn soup might not sound like a helper, but it truly is one. In the kitchen and out of it, too. Read on to find out how.

He jogs up the field, a zig, a zag, oops a tumble but then he’s up again and in position. The ball streaks toward his outstretched hands as the crowd goes nuts. Yes! He caught it!

A proud parent jumps up and claps.

Not me. I was not the proud parent at the Y’s Itty Bitty Sports Class yesterday. Nope. I was the one sitting in the stands crying.

Why was I crying? My sweetheart of a son did not want to participate in his first sports class. He just wanted to watch. And by “watch” he of course meant wiggle on my lap and treat my appendages like a jungle gym. I was about to give up and head home when his skull crashed into my nose causing my whole brain to catch on fire. It still hurts nearly 24 hours later.

That was the best part of my day. Things have sucked a bit lately. J is going through potty-training and is doing great. But I’m so tired of lugging that potty around everywhere and of constantly needing to be on alert for his crotch pulls hoping to guess when he needs to go.

Then there are the mad dashes to the restroom. Imagine it: Overly tall woman, 22 weeks pregnant, cursing and running with 44 pound toddler cinched under one arm,  bag stuffed with wallet, cell phone, water bottle, snack, juice box and two changes of clothes slung over one shoulder AND oversize re-useable grocery bag containing large plastic potty slung over the other.

Chipotle and Corn Soup with Crispy Proscuitto

I know. I know. Just stay home till he’s got it. We stayed home last week. I was a morose mess of frump by Friday. Now that he has the knack a bit I *have* to get out of the house. And, my husband has been out of town this week so not going anywhere means not seeing another adult at all.

On top of all that potty crap, people around me have been unreliable and frustrating lately. I won’t go into details but just realize that if we have plans for anything over the next few weeks, canceling could bring the wrath of a tired hormonal pregnant toddler-mother onto your very own nose.

I doubt that anything can help my current grump but I could really use a comforting bowl of mom’s homemade soup. Without her here though, I will have to go without. It’s too hot to imagine simmering anything for long anyhow. With the hubs gone I’ll probably just settle for quick pasta topped with feta and olives.

But maybe, just maybe, sharing a soup recipe with you might help. If I can’t make it and eat it, I can at least write about it and look at the pictures.

Speaking of soup, if you’re looking for another great corn soup to try, you’ll also want to check out my Spanish corn chowder recipe.

Spanish Corn Chowder

Enjoy this Chipotle and Corn Soup With Crispy Prosciutto

I don't usually think of a hot bowl of soup on a hot summer's day but the spice from the smoked chipotle in this one really works with any forecast. Top it with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime and serve it with tortilla chips for a light and simple summer supper.

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 slices proscuitto
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 4 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (defrosted)
  • 1 chipotle pepper (the kind packed in adobo sauce and sold in a can like this), minced
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • cilantro for garnish (As much as you like. If just for color, use a leaf or two per bowl. If you adore cilantro and want that brightness throughout the soup, go with 1 tbsp chopped per bowl.)
  • 1 lime cut into 4-5 wedges

1. Warm the olive oil over medimu-high heat in a large pot or a dutch oven. Sizzle in the prosicutto slices and cook, flipping after a minute or two, until crisp. Do not allow the prosicutto to overcook or take on a brown colour as the flavour will become bitter.  Remove the prosciutto to a plate to cool and add the onion to the pot. Cook stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes until some onion bits are starting to take on a touch of caramel.
  2. Plink in the corn and the chipotle pepper. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Add the broth, salt and pepper. Bring up to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Use a measuring cup to remove 1 cup of the corn and broth mixture from the pot. Purée the remaining contents of the pot until smooth using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender (cover the blender with a clean tea towel instead of with the blender lid). Pour it back into the pot and return contents of measuring cup to the pot. Add the sour cream and stir over low heat for a minute or two until the soup is warmed through. Do not allow it to reach a simmer or else the sour cream could separate.
  4. Ladle the soup into bowls. Crumble some prosciutto over each serving before topping with cilantro. Serve each bowl with a lime wedge meant to be squeezed over the soup for a bit of zingy last minute freshness.

The tortilla chips in the photos were made by zapping a soft flour tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until crisp.

18 Responses to “Chipotle and Corn Soup”

1. Mikaela Cowles — July 18, 2011 @ 9:38 pm (#)

My heart goes out to you. My sister just got into town with my four year-old niece and two six month old twins. I can’t imagine having my hands as full as either of you. What courage you have to deal with small children. It looks like this is the type of soup which will fortify you for the day though. How wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I’m going to hold onto it. My thoughts are with you for a swift potty training experience.

• Christine — July 19, 2011 @ 3:55 pm (#)

Mikaela, Amazingly, the potty training seems to have sorted itself out quickly. It was one week stuck at home followed by one week of stressful short ventures out. And now he is able to handle it all amazing well. I’m very relieved since I imagined it going on forever. Thanks for the comment and for the encouragement. THinking of your sister with her three little ones makes me realize that it could always be more difficult than it currently is.

2. Kristina — July 17, 2011 @ 2:19 am (#)

Patience, friend. Also, there’s a reason our mothers and grandmothers were always seen with a martini or daiquiri. Isn’t there something about after a certain point pregnant ladies can have half a glass of wine a night?

• Christine — July 19, 2011 @ 3:53 pm (#)

lol Kristina! I do have a glass of wine every now and then, glass topped up with tons of ice cubes so it dillutes slowly and lasts longer. It helps. definitely!

3. Trish — July 14, 2011 @ 6:22 pm (#)

It is too hot to simmer anything, but there are cold soups, too. Try refrigerating a can of beets (not pickled) and when it’s cold, blending the contents (including liquid) with a cup of orange juice. Serve immediately, witha dollop of yogurt or sour cream if you wish. Put into a sippy cup for a toddler; this can stain.

And since honeydew melons are in season, cut up a sweet one and blend it with a pint of lime sherbet and a couple of tablespoons of lime juice. Add more lime sherbet if you like it really sweet. Serve immediately. Or add some extra ice to the blender (and if it has been a really bad day, some melon or lime liqueur) and sip by the pool.

Hope you are doing better by now. I remember those weeks when my daughter was small and my husband was either out of town or working long hours. She never became an athelete, either, but 20 some years later she knows her way around art museums. Your toddler may choose to be an expert at something else that you can be proud of.

• Christine — July 15, 2011 @ 5:45 pm (#)

Trish! I do love cold soups though I rarely make them. Maybe now that I am a Floridian I should start experimenting with them more. Both of the recipes you’ve posted sound wonderful.

Yeah, I’ll be proud of J no matter what. I know it. The thing that gets me about the sports class is that he *loves* sports at home. He’s always wanting to play baseball and basketball. But then we got there and he was adamantly opposed. That happened at two classes. Thankfully, he participated (happily and enthusiastically) at the most recent class. I think it had something to do with bringing his own little ball and the teacher interacting with him and it for a moment before class started. That somehow made him more comfortbale and then before I knew it he was snatching a basketball from the bin and attempting to dribble and shoot with the rest of them.

4. The Mrs — July 12, 2011 @ 3:45 pm (#)

Oh, Christine.

How I wish I could make you some soup, or clean your house for you, or something.

I know that feeling. And I guess empathy is all I can do for you.

• Christine — July 15, 2011 @ 5:41 pm (#)

Thanks Mrs! Things are getting better. Slowly. But better all the same.

5. Dani — July 12, 2011 @ 12:23 am (#)

Oh man, hang in there. I am a total homebody introvert, yet I still remember the two weeks it took to train my eldest as utter hell. I was 8 months pregnant and could never leave the house, and she was… difficult. It’s way too hot for soup here now, but this looks good for when the heat wave is over and sweet corn season starts.

• Christine — July 12, 2011 @ 11:26 am (#)

I like being home too. I think it has to do with being forced to be at home versus choosing to be at home, y’know? J has progressed to being able to use an adult toilet when we’re out places. That alone has made life unbelievably easier! Yay!

6. Paula — July 11, 2011 @ 5:04 pm (#)

Oh my…I feel badly for you and wish that you had some reliable help to take the pressure off of you if only for a few hours. I hope your nose has stopped stinging too. Your soup and recipe look lovely but I’m sure the pasta you settled for was good too. Pasta is always a great comfort food.
    Take good care and I hope you are feeling more like yourself soon.

• Christine — July 12, 2011 @ 11:24 am (#)

Thanks Paula. My nose is much better and everything is slowly sorting itself out. My in-laws arrive for a visit today so there will be a lot of adults to chat with around the place. That will certainly help.

7. T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types — July 11, 2011 @ 2:31 pm (#)

Hope things are looking better. We’ve all been there at times, but sometimes it does feel like the stars are just misaligned for too long. Your corn and chipotle soup is bound to set things right, though.

• Christine — July 12, 2011 @ 11:23 am (#)

Thanks Tom! Things are getting better already. Sure helps when you have a partner around to give an adult hug and a chat.

8. phyllis — July 11, 2011 @ 12:48 pm (#)

It’s 7:30 a.m. and here I am reading and laughing. I know I shouldn’t, yesterday I was running in the rain, trying to eat my ice cream cone and pushing a stroller with a tot who wasn’t sure why he was having a shower in the late afternoon. Because I know you and J, and the way you tell that story, I can visualize the events perfectly. We just started eating chipotle (Barry doesn’t like things too spicey) I put it in my barbeque sauce, and found that we liked it. Great blog. Thanks for the chuckle.

• Christine — July 11, 2011 @ 2:03 pm (#)

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Not at the time, but now. Let me know if you try the soup (or try adding it to any soups). You could start with just half of one if you’re worried that Dad won’t like it. I also put one into our rib sauce and some of the sauce from the can into braising liquids. Graz loves it so that makes it easier!

9. adventuresindinner — July 11, 2011 @ 12:22 pm (#)

Grrr…if you were closer I’d make you some.

We have two rules in the house 1) protect the face and 2) always check to see if food is wet (ie licked) before accepting it from a toddler.

• Christine — July 11, 2011 @ 2:03 pm (#)

Great rules! I will adopt them both. For sure.