Cook the Story

How to Have Your Mushrooms and Eat Them Too

If you’ve ever run into us at the grocery story, I don’t blame you for thinking that my little J loves mushrooms. It would be a totally acceptable belief given the evidence: J sitting in the cart with a blue styro package of pre-washed sliced mushrooms on his lap as he happily chows down on slice after slice of tasteless white shroom.

It’s totally true. Whenever we get to the produce section, he demands that we head to the mushrooms, demands that I pass him a blue pack and demands that I tear a whole in the plastic wrap so his pudgy fingers can get through. Then he eats his way through half the packet and absolutely refuses to share any with me.

But what do you think happens when we get home?

“I don’t like those mushrooms, Mommy. They’re so yucky!”

He won’t eat them raw. He won’t eat them cooked. If he detects even the slightest hint of mushroom in a sauce or casserole, he refuses to even try it.

He’s 3 *sigh*. What do you expect.

I shrug and use the rest of the boring sliced white mushrooms on top of salads. And when I want a real, flavorful mushroom fix, I make these Portobello Mushroom Rafts. The beauty: J can happily eat the mushroom-free filling while hubs and I get a shroomie feast.

Portobello Mushroom Rafts

These can be made ahead, refrigerated and then microwaved briefly to warm through. Serve topped with the below Spanish Quinoa or with any rice or barley pilaf. They also make a nice base for grilled filet mignon or for chicken parmesan (bread chicken scallopini, fry/bake until golden and cooked through, top with mozzarella and/or parmesan, top cheese with hot tomato sauce, lay the cheesy saucy chicken on top of the warm mushroom raft).

Serves 4

• 2 tsp olive oil (divided)
  • 4 portobello mushrooms, stems and fins removed
  • 4 pinches garlic powder
  • 4 grinds black pepper
  • 4 pinches salt

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Rub a baking pan with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil (make sure you use a pan with an edge so the mushroom juices don’t spill out into your oven).

Place the mushrooms top side down on the pan. Drizzle each mushroom with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil. Sprinkle each mushroom with a pinch of garlic powder and a grind of pepper.

Place pan of mushrooms into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through. Sprinkle each mushroom with a pinch of salt. Transfer mushrooms to a plate. If there is any liquid in the pan, pour it into a bowl and save it to add to the filling below or to a sauce or soup.

Spanish Quinoa

Quinoa is a grain-like crop known for being a complete protein and a good source of fiber. It has a light fluffy texture and mild nutty flavor. My whole family likes it (J especially likes the little spirals around the grains). I hope yours does too!

Here’s some great info from Daily Unadventures in Cooking about how to wash and cook quinoa.

The instructions given below work for the brands of quinoa available in my grocery store. Consult the cooking instructions on your box to find out if the proportion of liquid to quinoa (2:1 here) and the cooking time will work for your brand. Some boxes insist that you wash the quinoa before cooking. Others don’t. I always rinse mine.

Serves 4

• 1 cup quinoa, washed
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp sweet paprika (or 1/4 tsp hot or smoked paprika)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • mushroom juices from above mushroom raft recipe (optional)
  • Black pepper (optional)
  • 6 large Spanish olives stuffed with pimentos or 1 jarred roasted red pepper (I prefer those t hat do not contain any sweeteners in the brine), chopped

Combine the quinoa, broth, paprika, cumin, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and a tiny spiral appears around each grain.

Add the olive oil and mushroom juices (if using). Fluff gently with a fork. Taste and add a bit of salt and black pepper if desired.

Pile onto warm mushroom rafts (for those who like mushrooms) or onto small plastic children’s plates (for those who don’t like mushrooms – if it’s for an adult, you have my permission to use a regular plate). Top each serving with the olives or roasted red peppers.

___________________________________________________________

Check out the other posts in my Series: Kid-Friendly Fare with Adult-Friendly Flare:

Comments
17 Responses to “How to Have Your Mushrooms and Eat Them Too”
  1. Libby says:

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this with the recipe with the Food Allergy Blog Carnival!

• Christine says:

You’re welcome! I hadn’t really realized that it was allergy-friendly and vegan until I saw your post asking for such recipes. It is a really tasty winner for many different palates and food requirements.

2. The Mrs says:

Oooh, smoked paprika! We just bought some recently and this was our first time using it – so worth it!

• Christine says:

Yeah, smoked paprika makes everything taste better. That’s my fave. I’m thinking of entering the recipe in this weeks’ Food 52 contest, which happens to be for mushrooms. I think I’ll go with the smoked in the ingredient list.

3. The Mrs says:

OH. This was delicious. DELICIOUS.

I’ve been a little afraid of Quinoa just because I’m not a “it’s the new super-food” kind of girl. Also, if it is, it probably tastes like it, right?

Not so. You have converted me. I love mushrooms, but I could have sat at the table and ate the quinoa off of Miss’ plate.

Oh, wait. I did.

• Christine says:

You tried it? So so so happy you liked it. My husband was just as skeptical as you but was delighted that he got to take leftovers of it to work the next day. I was pretty chuffed. Nearly as chuffed as I am by your comment. Thank you for reading, commenting and for actually trying the recipe. You’ve made my day yet again! What kind of paprika did you use? Just curious because it is slightly different depending.

4. frostwire says:

trying to find you on facebook, wats ur profile

5. The Mrs says:

Er…I took too long of a walk, and Mr had to come and pick us up, and then dinner too. Oops.

Tonight, then. I’ll let you know how awesome it is in person, although obviously you already know.

The walking is why we moved into town. Before, any walk would be “side of highway” walking, which I’m not too into.

And – speaking for all of Ontario – there’s no such thing as “ridiculously hot”. No. Such. Thing.

6. The Mrs says:

Oh, I’m making this tonight. I planned something else, but it can wait until tomorrow.

Thanks, Chris! I was looking for an excuse for a long walk once the kids get up from their naps…to the grocery store we go – but only for the mushrooms, because I have everything else! [fist pump]

• Christine says:

I’m fist-pumping along with you! Nice to know my recipe won’t force you to break your grocery budget challenge. Let me know how the adults and the kiddies like it.

Hmmm…I’m jealous of your nice Ontario spring walk to the grocery store. It is ridiculously hot here today and I can’t imagine walking further than to my car. How did I go from being a non-car-owning, walking and transiting gal to this gasoline dependant heat-phobic chick?

7. Katerina says:

This sounds great! I haven’t ever made stuffed mushrooms, but stuffing with quinoa is a brilliant idea. Thanks for linking to my tutorial!

• Christine says:

You’re welcome! Love you site. The tutorial is so informative and helpful and certainly saved me a lot of writing and explaining. Thank you!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] (If you already know about J, you probably know that his portion was also rinsed of all hints of green cilantro and of all sauce. He also chose to pick out the mushrooms and declare them too yucky.) [...]